NWA1123-ACHD repeater mode

Talkabout
Talkabout Posts: 34  Freshman Member
Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN

Hi all,

I bought a set of NWA1123-ACHD devices because I thought I can use them to extend my wifi range. Unfortunately I came to know that those devices are current NOT supporting repeater mode. Question now is: should I sent those back or wait for the repeater mode to come? When is the expected delivery date for this functionality?

Thanks!

Bye

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hello @Talkabout ,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

I would like to update that NWA1123-AC HD, NWA5123-AC HD and WAC6303D-S will be enhanced to support smart-mesh (repeater mode). Releasing date is scheduled at end of this year (2019), please stay tuned.

Thanks.

Jonas

Jonas,
  • Talkabout

Hi Jonas,

"End of this year", really? Earlier it was claimed that this will happen mid 2019, now it's end of the year... Quite a long time... Is there a way to join a "beta firmware group" to have this feature earlier and help testing it? I am not that happy with the fact that I have to stow my second NWA1123-AC HD for 5 months before I can use it...

Thanks!

Bye

• Zyxel_Jonas

Hello @Talkabout,

The original plan to release Mesh in the remaining devices (different chipset devices) has been second half of 2019. Sorry for the inconvenience, but at the moment we cannot guarantee you the access to a beta firmware as our chipset team is still working on it.

Hope you understand.

Jonas

Jonas,
  • Talkabout

Hi Jonas,

is it possible for you to keep this thread updated with news? As there an internal schedule for tests on this feature?

Thanks!

Bye

• Zyxel_Jonas

Hi @Talkabout,

Yes, we'll have an internal test to verify that the feature is functioning good and this thread will be updated in the "News and New release" section after the released. Please stay tuned.

Thanks.

Jonas

Jonas,
  • Talkabout

Hi Jonas,

thanks, will keep an eye on the news and release threads.

Bye

• Talkabout

Hi Jonas,

any news on a beta firmware that I could test?

Thanks!

Bye

• Zyxel_Jonas

Hi @Talkabout,

To ensure the quality, our policy is not to release beta firmware, in case there are side effects that haven't been tested, hence only the official firmware will be available, which has now been extended to January 2020.

Thank you for understanding,

Jonas

Jonas,
  • Talkabout

Hi Jonas,

this is even worse... no beta and I have to wait until next year for being able to use my APs as wanted...

Thanks anyways.

Bye

• Talkabout

Hi Jonas,

Instead of waiting for the Mesh feature to come I have decided to use wifi routing instead. Now both access points are wired to the network by cable and the ssids are activated to use " 802.11k/v Assisted Roaming", which basically makes sure that clients are using the ap with the highest transfer rate. My first tests showed that it is quite useful though it is still in beta state.

Question: will there be any advantage to use Mesh instead of wifi roaming?

Thanks!

Bye