USG20W-VPN: Problems establishing Wifi connection / spontaneous reboots

All Replies

• warwickt
    warwickt Posts: 111  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi Zyxel Lads and Fellow Forum members, are there any updates on whether V4.33 F/ware resolves the intermittent WIFI basestation issue?

Any links  +/- would be appreciated. Obviously prefer a solid confirmation 

We have a client that is waiting for this. They have the V4.33 f/ware on "standby boot firmware" and are reluctant to try it in production unless their is ample conviction that the firmware will resolve this issue.

Model is  usg20VPNw 

Many Thanks
    Warwick
    Hong Kong
  • moonmoth
    moonmoth Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi all, I have an update on the firmware release on 6th March.

I have the USG20W-VPN.
    Installed the firm ware on Thursday 7th March.
    Wifi has dropped twice (that I know of). Once on the 7th and today 7 days later. Same issue as before with the GUI saying 'updating'. It may have dropped before and then sorted itself out. As it was, I noticed it and managed to get it up again. 

Thoughts: It it a lot better than before where it would literally drop wifi every 30 mins making it impractical to use. I did think the first drop out was a fluke and was prepared to say that it was 'rock solid' and fixed but that drop out this morning has me slightly worried. I messed about with the 'Wifi and Guest Wizard' to get it up and running again. Maybe it would have sorted itself out without my intervention. I will need to monitor it a bit longer
  • Hi, I'd just like to report that our Zyxel USG110, running Firmware 4.33(AAPH.0), the latest, has the same problem as the original poster of this thread and the workaround, deactivating the access profile and reactivating it, seems to work.
  • Arnaud
    Arnaud Posts: 4  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment

Hello to all.

I have known this problem for at least 4 years with several USG40W, at the time we were in version 3 of the firmware.

the symptoms are always the same: everything works fine for a few weeks, then everyone gets disconnected from wifi.

Zyxel has been asked several times, their answer is always the same: you have to restart the USG because these devices are not made to work 24/24... the joke!

so I set up a script as a consultant, which reboots the USG every week.

and Zyxel is satisfied with that...... 

As much to say that for my Wifi access points I switched to another much more serious brand, I have had UP access points for more than 120 days (last firmware update, befor it was 250 days !), without the slightest worry.

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited June 2019

Hi @Arnaud

We sincerely apologies for the WiFi related issues you had met and we do care about WiFi stability issue seriously.

Our current released firmware had fixed those raised WiFi issues. You may upload your firmware to this version if you’re still suffering the WiFi issues

ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/USG40W/firmware/433AALB0ITS-WK19-r88384.zip

Meanwhile, we will also evaluate the insufficient part of our test plan especially in WiFi function.

• Hi

I am experiencing problems with wifi connection to USG20W-VPN.

Sometimes wifi clients do not get IP address from DHCP.

The problem disappear rebooting the unit.

Firmware version is 4.32.

Will an update to 4.33 solve the problem?

Thanks

• FunBizBun
    FunBizBun Posts: 7
    Friend Collector First Comment

To be honest Claudio, I wouldn't hold my breathe - we've all been having these issues with this router model from the get go and I've finally given up on this unit and ordered a different Zyxel model instead.

If the new model doesn't work I'll officially throw in the towel and not bother with Zyxel as their business offerings don't give me much confidence for anything.

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee

Hi @ClaudioLoletti

WiFi issues had been fixed at V4.33, you can get the firmware from link blow..

Hi @FunBizBun

We apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with USG-20W vpn. 

if you encounter any issues with new model, just feel free to contact us

Firmware link:

FTP: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/USG40W/firmware/433AALB0ITS-WK19-r88384.zip

• Hi @Zyxel_Cooldia

I just updated to V4.33(ABAR.0) / 2019-01-09 17:32:53 through the web interface. I will check if the error persists.

It seems the firmware you are linking is more recent. Why is not detected by the web interface?

It also seems to be for USG40W. Is it your error or it can be applied to USG20W-VPN?

Thanks.

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee
    edited July 2019

Hi @ClaudioLoletti ,

Sorry, i provide the wrong link, the model should be USG-20W 

You may download the firmware from the link here.

ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/USG20W-VPN/firmware/433ABAR0ITS-WK19-r88384.zip

The wifi related fixes are included in this version. 

Security Highlight