USG20W-VPN Wifi Still Dropping - Firmware update not working.

All Replies

• RapidEye_IT
    RapidEye_IT Posts: 8
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited June 2019

It's very odd, but I had posted a comment here at the time of @User1's last reply here so that I could alert people of the good firmware I'm using, but I guess it didn't post.

Ever since I upgraded the USG60W's to V4.33(AAKZ.0) from 4.32 it all got more stable again. My client (and all its users) whom have had these frequent disconnections stopped reporting WiFi issues. I verified this with the client through follow-up calls, email messages and by interactively looking at the firewall's behavior in order to effectively gauge results over time.

I'd say my results have been very successful for this particular model, but the software still needs a lot of WiFi improvements.

You may attempt to update your USG20W to a comparable firmware release date at or newer than 2019-01-09 (January 9th? not sure) which is the date of V4.33 for USG60W

Backup your config. Keep an old copy of the firmware on standby in case your attempt doesn't work.

Most importantly, don't use DCS for a while. In my situation it was a bunch of WiFi station channel changes triggering log entries. I figured that something must be triggering channel changes at a high rate, so I turned off DCS. I will not re-enable it until ZYXEL has posted something about resolving this.

• User1
    User1 Posts: 11  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment

I can confirm that upgrading to the V4.33 provided on the FTP broke the WiFi on my USG20W-VPN...in a matter of hours it just shut down again.

So NO, the problem has not gone away on the USG20W-VPN and I can not recommend it. I am not running DCS.

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @User1

Sorry to hear that. 

Can you send me your latest configuration file via private message, I would like to do more test based on your configuration file.

• alehzn
    alehzn Posts: 37  Freshman Member

Hello @Zyxel_Cooldia ,

Are you willing to look at my configuration file as well? Apperantly the Wifi-issue is gone for 60w but I am using like @User1 a 20w-vpn model.

Let me know and I will send you it via private message.

Thank you.

• RapidEye_IT
    RapidEye_IT Posts: 8
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2019

Is it possible that the WiFi issues are not related to WiFi? Could the issue be with DHCP, Firewall policy configuration, zone config, interface config, any ideas?

Do you have anything in your logs that can demonstrate issues with WiFi? You might be able to read the logs more clearly by disabling the log by selecting "no" under Log: on the default policy control rule.

Only regular system logs will be available for viewing which will help isolate the WiFi alerts.

When I have a moment I will share some of my settings on my 2.4Ghz WLAN...perhaps the defaults or your current config is not compatible with the hardware...

• Zyxel_Cooldia

@RapidEye_IT  Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestion. 😀

Hi @alehzn

Good to hear that the Wifi-issue is gone for 60w. 😁

It would be great if you are willing to provide 20W-VPN configuration file to us for lab test.

• User1
    User1 Posts: 11  Freshman Member
    edited July 2019

@RapidEye_IT , if you read all the USG20W-VPN topics, you will see that I provided the logs twice already.

It is pretty obvious that the WIFI card/interface shuts down as the light on the front panel goes off and in the web interface it is shown as disabled. So, something is somehow, for some unknown reason, disabling the WLAN interface altogether. You can re-enable it manually in the GUI and it than works for a while.

This could be either a FW or HW issue, with bad power management and saggy voltages once more demand is put onto the wifi chipset or the processor. This could be caused by a FW upgrade changing the IC configuration or by just a bad error handler.

If I spend any more time on this I would need to start seeing checks coming in from Zyxel, I already paid for a working product, but never got it.

@Zyxel_Cloodia, if I send you back the unit so you can fix it, would Zyxel reimburse me? Much better than just those logs, than don't seem to make much of a difference.

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    edited July 2019

Hi @User1

We apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with our product.

Would you mind providing us your contact information in private message ?

We will get our local representative to contact you regarding to the issue you met and see how can we help on this. 

• alehzn
    alehzn Posts: 37  Freshman Member

I just would like to know when the next official firmware for 20w-vpn will be released?

• Zyxel_Cooldia

Hi @RapidEye_IT

The next official firmware release schedule will be by end of October.

Security Highlight