HOW To Block Outgoing VPN Access ?

Options
vfm_IT
vfm_IT Posts: 13  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
I have a USG 110
I need to prevent the ability of visitors who connect laptops or Smartphones into the network and access the Internet via VPN client software. I can block regular web browsing through Content FIltering and App Patrol, but it does not block users who initiate VPN sessions from inside the network to access Unauthorized websites.

Best Answers

• vfm_IT
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Zyxel_Stanley
    Thanks for your reply.
    But must of the users who are bypassing my securities (APP control & Content filtering) with VPN Apps, are using smartphones.
    And these users are eating the internet bandwidth by streaming or by downloading videos etc....
    My next questions are the followings:
    1- How do I identify the VPN app they are using on their smartphones from the USG?
    2- How do I block the following VPN ports on the USG?
    AH(51), ESP(50), IKE(500), NATT(4500), PPTP(1723), PPTP tunnel(47), OpenVPN(1194)

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,366  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @vfm_IT

There are regular VPN ports, you can block them from LAN to WAN first:

AH(51), ESP(50), IKE(500), NATT(4500), PPTP(1723), PPTP tunnel(47), OpenVPN(1194)

But due to there are many different VPN software, so will use different protocols and port numbers.

You have to know which software is working on client PC first, and then block the traffic which initial from LAN to WAN.

• vfm_IT
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Zyxel_Stanley
    Thanks for your reply.
    But must of the users who are bypassing my securities (APP control & Content filtering) with VPN Apps, are using smartphones.
    And these users are eating the internet bandwidth by streaming or by downloading videos etc....
    My next questions are the followings:
    1- How do I identify the VPN app they are using on their smartphones from the USG?
    2- How do I block the following VPN ports on the USG?
  • vfm_IT
    Options
    Zyxel_Stanley
    Many thanks for your advise and support.

Security Highlight