USG20W-VPN Wifi Still Dropping - Firmware update not working.

moonmoth
moonmoth Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hi, I have updated our USG20W-VPN with the latest firmware release from the 6th March 2019. It worked fine for a week and has now started to drop the Wifi again. 

Symptoms are exactly as before the firmware update. I reset the Wifi. It works for about 20 minutes then the SSID vanishes and the GUI panel says 'updating'. Due to the Wifi issues most of the office staff are on a wired connection so there must be literally 3 or 4 devices connected to it at any one time. 

Is anybody else finding this or am I just really unlucky? 
Moonmoth

Accepted Solution

• moonmoth
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to everyone at the Zyxel forum for their help and suggestions. I am afraid to say that we have decided to no longer use the USG20W-VPN as it does not provide a reliable wireless connection. If anybody at Zyxel business is looking at this post then let me say that this issue should have been at the top of your priorities when it first occurred 9 months ago and that a fix should have taken precedence over everything. Good luck to everybody who is still struggling with this issue. 
    Moonmoth

All Replies

• warwickt
    warwickt Posts: 111  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    All interested.
    W
    Hong Kong 
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    @moonmoth
    Regarding to this case,
    can you collect the diagnostic information and console message for our analysis? I will private message you later.
    Charlie
  • moonmoth
    Yes, not sure how I do that,  so any guidance you can provide would be useful. 
    Moonmoth
  • moonmoth
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to everyone at the Zyxel forum for their help and suggestions. I am afraid to say that we have decided to no longer use the USG20W-VPN as it does not provide a reliable wireless connection. If anybody at Zyxel business is looking at this post then let me say that this issue should have been at the top of your priorities when it first occurred 9 months ago and that a fix should have taken precedence over everything. Good luck to everybody who is still struggling with this issue. 
    Moonmoth
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    @moonmoth
    I am regret to hear this information. So far we cannot see certain issue on the patch firmware from our test environment, therefore, if possible, we really need your assistance to collect the information for our check further.
    We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
    Charlie

• User1
    User1 Posts: 11  Freshman Member
    edited April 2019
    Many of us, owning a USG-20W-VPN have provided diagnostic information countless times. To no avail. This issue has been present in every single FW since 4.25, which is what I am running on mine, being the last stable version. This is a 2017 build!

Is Zyxel going to refund us for selling a non functioning device or should we organize a class action lawsuit? 

Zyxel has been aware of the issue but continues to sell these devices without a functioning FW while advertising this functionality and making users pay for it.

I will definitely not buy a Zyxel product again and will advise other users against it in the future, purely based on first hand experience.
  • Zyxel_Vic
    Zyxel_Vic Posts: 281  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @User1
    Sorry for the issue you met. We released a patch which had fixed the wifi related issue in March/B. I'll send you the download link in private message so that you can see if it resolved the issue you met. 

Here the release information
  • k1601
    k1601 Posts: 8
    Hi! Why is this new firmware not publicly available? And how get this new firmware? I have similar problems and have been waiting for the official release of fix this problem for a long time.

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @k1601

The issue was fixed in March/B. It will fixed in next official version.
    I will send you firmware by private message.
  • User1
    User1 Posts: 11  Freshman Member
    Has anyone tested this FW and can confirm it actually works, not like all the previous FW that claimed they fixed it?

Security Highlight