DDNS using No-IP registers internal address (assigned by cable modem) instead of public address.

PBE
PBE Posts: 8
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
How do I get NO-IP to register the public IP address when using a cable modem?  Currently No-IP is registering the internal address (10.1.10.2) assigned to my NSG100 by the cable modem DHCP server.  Is it possible without changing the settings in the cable modem?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello PBE,
    The DDNS got the place to configure the custom IP, it may help if you are using static IP.

/Chris

Chris
  • PBE
    First Comment
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for the response Chris.  What IP address do I put in the custom field?  If I had a static IP address I wouldn't need to use the DDNS service.
  • Zyxel_Chris
    PBE said:
    Thanks for the response Chris.  What IP address do I put in the custom field?  If I had a static IP address I wouldn't need to use the DDNS service.
    Hi,
    If it is the dynamic IP then the better way is to configure the DDNS on modem, after all NSG would not know the public IP of its gateway.

/Chris
    Chris
  • PBE
    First Comment
    Unfortunately I already have accounts with NO-IP and my modem only works with a few other DDNS providers, which is why I was hoping to configure the NSG100 for DDNS.  I find it odd that the NSG can't determine the public IP address given any PC on the network is able to do it.
  • PBE
    First Comment
    In the VPN connection section, the NSG100 displays the public IP address.  It seems there should be a way for it to use that address form the DDNS.
  • Zyxel_Chris
    I think it's two different mechanism, the DDNS website dashboard will detect the public IP which client is using, however for how the device renew the IP is device report IP on itself with credential to the server directly.
    It's depends on how the DDNS provider define it. Hope you can understand.

/Chris
    Chris

Nebula Tips & Tricks