4G Dongle on USG60W

Alberto
Alberto Posts: 7
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Good morning, 
I bought a Huawei E3272 4g dongle inserted in the USB port of the firewall. The dongle seems working correctly but when i disconnect the wan for testing, the connection fail after 10 seconds. Seems it not work properly, also if the USG60W recognize it. 

Thanks in advance, 
best regards

Alberto

Best Answers

All Replies

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @Alberto
    Regarding to your description,
    if the connection failover to another interface, the session will be interrupted for secs and than will up immediately.
    As I checked this case with  Huawei E3272 internally, when the active interface is disconnected, the backup interface will bring up and takeover in one sec.
    Can I know what is your test steps for this case?
    Charlie

• Alberto
    Alberto Posts: 7
    First Comment
    edited January 2019
    Hi Charlie, thanks for your reply. 
    I did some tests, one was connect the dongle to the USG60w and create a rule for my pc to use that interface for navigation but, when i tried a speedtest, I lost the connection after 2 seconds.
    I thought i made a mistake in previous configuration so i followed this guide: https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=015539&lang=EN and tried to put both wan1 and wan2 in inactive state (grey bulb). Also in this test, the connection seems working just for a second.
    I tried again today and seen in the interface monitor that the dongle is connected until there is traffic. As soon as I try a speedtest, the status became red and the message is "disconnected"

• Haplo
    Haplo Posts: 5
    First Answer First Comment
    edited October 2019
    Hi All,

Is there any news on this? we got the same issue with an USG60W and a Huawei E303

Cellular connection is up but the dataflow stops when opening a webpage. Disconnecting -> Connecting restores it until refreshing the webpage.

Edit: changing the MTU size does seem to have some effect, need to further investigate.

Thanks,
    M
  • Haplo
    Solution for me was to change the mtu size of the cellular interface to 1200

• Hi Haplo, 
    I contacted Zyxel Italy and they did some test on my firewall. After these tests they reported me that for them there wasn't any problems or malfunction. I tried again some times but I still have the same exact problem that you reported. 
    Tomorrow I'll update to the new firmware and I'll try your solution. ^_^b
  • Haplo
    edited October 2019
    Hi Alberto,

Curious if it works for you, in my test setup now all works. 2 WAN (cable + adsl) 1 Cellular. WAN load balanced, Cellular as fallback. All with active IPSec Dialup VPN to our datacenter. Looking forward taken this live with a few devices soon.

Cheers,
    M
  • Hi Haplo, i tried yesterday after installed the new firmware. Same results.
    I created a routing for my pc for using cellular1, tried a speedtest by ookla but after 5 sec. of test, my connection dropped.
    I didn't find where to change the MTU size for cellular1 :(
  • Hi,
    i've found the option. The problem is that once you connect the dongle, the firewall automatically detects it and pre-configure it, no particular options to set (so i didn't find where to set the mtu size).
    You must create a new cellular connection and after the selection of the usb port, you can configure many more options (like the provider, mtu size, etc.). Once you confirmed the configuration, those options are not longer visible, like the previous auto-configuration made by the firewall. Don't know why the made this choice :/.
    Anyway, I set MTU size to 1200 like you suggested and it works perfectly.

Thank you very much!!!

Ciao, 
    Alberto

Security Highlight