[NEBULA] how do I configure a VPN network to access from laptop or cell phone?

WaYne
WaYne Posts: 12  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Hi all,
I'm looking for a way to be able to let laptop/phones to VPN back to the network (to access internal webpage download files etc.)
I dont know the term, just know its a VPN way back to the local network. Anyone know how to do this?
Wayne

Comments

• JCHEN
    JCHEN Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment Ideas master
    Do you mean "L2TP over IPSec VPN"?
    L2TP VPN may allow remote client to access internal resources. Most important of all, both laptop and smart phones support L2TP VPN by default.
    I've never used Nebula devices as a L2TP VPN server so I cannot give you further information. Sorry about that.

• Zyxel_CSO
    Zyxel_CSO Posts: 375  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited June 2018
    @WaYne, Welcome to Zyxel Nebula forum, if you would like to setup a VPN network to access laptop or mobile phone, you can refer to the terminology of L2TP over IPSec VPN as @JCHEN's mentioned that allows remote users to access internal networks.
    Our NSG series supports L2TP over IPSec VPN as well and there is more information about How to setup L2TP VPN client connection with Authentication Server? in FAQ > Configurations for your reference. Hope this is useful to you. B)
  • WaYne
    WaYne Posts: 12  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Okay, i got the point.
    I've tried the steps from FAQ, trying to build the radius server for the first time is a bit annoying.
    But since there is cloud authentication function on there, it seems not possible to authenticate through cloud authentication? why is that?
    Wayne
  • Zyxel_CSO
    Zyxel_CSO Posts: 375  Zyxel Employee
    edited May 2017
    Hi WaYne
    We will offer this option of VPN user through nebula cloud authentication on phase II soon. Please stay tuned for the updates.
  • Mr_DJ
    Mr_DJ Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector First Comment
    I still can not get Nebula L2TP Cloud Auth to work with my L2TP over IPsec clients, standard native Android VPN on phones and tablets and Standard Native VPN on Windows clients. why is this? Both client types worked well with Zyxel USG device on both L2TP over IPsec for Android and L2TP over IPsec and SSL VPN for windows. SSL VPN is completely missing on NSG, It's quite frustrating when I updated an entire SMB network with only 2 year old zyxel devices for nebula devices to make it all easier/faster and create a better overview. And then it turns out that completely basic things do not work or are missing, it's almost like Nebula is a downgrade compared to former Zyxel products. Sorry for the negative sounding comments.

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    Hello @Mr_DJ
    Welcome to Nebula community!!
    Since you mentioned about the same setting on USG can work but not on NSG, hence I'll help out to troubleshoot, please check the private message.
    Chris
  • Earth
    Earth Posts: 6  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Mr_DJ said:
    I still can not get Nebula L2TP Cloud Auth to work with my L2TP over IPsec clients, standard native Android VPN on phones and tablets and Standard Native VPN on Windows clients. why is this? Both client types worked well with Zyxel USG device on both L2TP over IPsec for Android and L2TP over IPsec and SSL VPN for windows. SSL VPN is completely missing on NSG, It's quite frustrating when I updated an entire SMB network with only 2 year old zyxel devices for nebula devices to make it all easier/faster and create a better overview. And then it turns out that completely basic things do not work or are missing, it's almost like Nebula is a downgrade compared to former Zyxel products. Sorry for the negative sounding comments.

Hi @Mr_DJ
    It's quite easy to set this up. 

Once you turn this on and create VPN user in Cloud authentication. 
    It's done.
    How about share your setting to us?

Regards,
    David
  • Mr_DJ
    Earth and others

It's all fine enough. And of course, I've made the settings that you show and tried with them before I write here and it still does not work. But now Zyxel support has gained access to the NSG where I have the problem, so we need to see if they find out what's wrong.

And to those who could read this, I do not need more answers here.

Best regards
    \Mr_DJ

• Mr_DJ
    Thank you very much to @Nebula_Chris

That was just the information I needed to get it all running.

WOW what good and quick help.

Now I'm not a second to doubt that the choice of Zyxel products is just right :-)

Best regards
    Mr_DJ
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @Mr_DJ
    I am glad to hear from you that it works on your side ;) , appreciate for your support! 1
    Chris

Nebula Tips & Tricks