USG110 - permanent CPU usage of about 30%

USG_User
USG_User Posts: 369  Master Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited April 2021 in Security
Hi,
Is it a normal behaviour that the CPU usage is nearly constant arround 30 to 40 %, irrespective whether its day time or night time, working time or after office hours? I see this CPU usage it in the daily report diagram since we have purchased the USG years ago. But normally, during e.g. night times, when the number of active sessions is extremly decreasing, the CPU usage should follow, isn't it?

All Replies

• USG_User

• Line2
    Line2 Posts: 40  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    I see most of time with very little traffic and a few site2site tunnels about 20% CPU on an USG110. On CLI 'debug system ps' shows here 17% CPU used by snmpd.
  • USG_User
    SNMP is disabled with us.
  • Line2
    Line2 Posts: 40  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    maybe you see another process using CPU with 'debug system ps'
  • USG_User
    Just checked the Maintenance > Diagnostic > CPU/Memory Status of the USG. Here the result:

The first column at the table shows the CPU utilization percentage for each application. But why the sum of all values within this column doesn't result in 100%?
    We've got one Zyxel Access Point controlled by the USG. The AP controller has to handle two VLANs assigned to different SSIDs. Does this configuration needs so much CPU time?
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee

Hi @USG_User,

You can also check the CPU usage in MAINTENANCE > Diagnostics > CPU/Memory Status.

• USG_User
    I did this. See my post above yours. Most probably we posted simultaneously. :) Thanks.
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee

Hi @USG_User,

The CPU utilization percentage in the first column of the table are CPU usage for only top N of the result of "debug system ps", not all applications.

Does "Wireless AP Controller" always occupy 30% of CPU usage after office hours?

• USG_User
    Hi Emily,
    Yes, I think so, the wireless AP controller with one WAC6103D-I connected, occupies always 30% CPU. I will countercheck this this evening by remote access. But since the controller takes 30% CPU irrespective of whether 15 persons are in the office or only 5 (with their smartphones connected), I guess this value will not be decreased during after office hours.
  • USG_User
    Hi Emily,
    No, unfortunately also at night the AP controller occupies permanently about 30% CPU time. Do you know any scenarios/configurations where this could be happen?

Security Highlight