Upgrade from Zywall 310 to USG 1100

Options
imaohw
imaohw Posts: 123  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited April 2021 in Security
I have a Zywall 310 (VPN firewall) that I am upgrading to a USG 1100.  Both are running 4.31 firmware.

i have a couple of questions.

- Is there a way I can import or convert and import the configuration file from the Zywall 310 into the USG 1100?

- Once I have the USG 1100 running can I use the Zywall 310 for High Availability (HA) with the USG 1100

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,367  Zyxel Employee
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi @imaohw

(1) You can download startup-config file and open it.

Remove 1~3 lines, and save it. Then it should able upload to USG1100 and apply successfully.

If the process is fail, you can send your configuration to me by private message.

(2) The Device HA must running on the same the models, firmware version.

So ZyWALL310 and USG1100 are unable build Device-HA.

• imaohw
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi @Zyxel_Stanley,

Thank you for your quick response.

Editing and uploading the config file worked perfectly.

For HA, on page 759 of the USG 1100 manual (v4.31 Edition 1) it implies that you only need the same models for configuration synchronization.  Otherwise you can manually configure both devices.  

Page 759 of manual:
    "Note: Only Zyxel Devices of the same model and firmware version can synchronize.

Otherwise you must manually configure the master Zyxel Device’s settings on the backup (by editing copies of the configuration files in a text editor for example). "

Is this correct?  Will HA work with 2 different models that are manually configured identically?  If not, why not?
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,367  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @imaohw

The Device-HA synchronization mechanism will checking (1) Model (2) Firmware version and then syncs configuration continually.

If you have no 2 same models, you can modify master’s configuration and then apply to backup device.

But it will not synchronize configuration automatically if you changed configuration. (due to synchronization will fail in model name incorrect)

• imaohw
    Options
    So if I turn off synchronization (which appears to be an option in the configuration) and manually keep the two devices in sync then HA should work and fail over when needed?

Is the same thing true with HA Pro?

Security Highlight