Wake-on-Lan:

jeffjohn1941
jeffjohn1941 Posts: 71  Ally Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
For some reason, I can not use WoL to wake my PC, externally from WAN through my SBG3300. I have forwarded port 9 udp to the relevant PC which has a permanent IP.  Remote WoL utilities and Teamviewer can not wake the PC. However WoL works perfectly within the home LAN. (BIOS and network card setup). Any advice or suggestions?
Jeff J Purcell, New Forest, Uk and France, 44290

Best Answers

• jeffjohn1941
    Answer ✓
    Many sincere thanks for your assistance. I am embarrassed, however, to say that I now understand my problem was due to Win 10 Pro not supporting Wake from the PC power-OFF.  After leaving in S3, (sleep) state no problems with Wake.
  • jeffjohn1941
    Answer ✓
    MS state:
    In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, the default shutdown behavior puts the system into the hybrid shutdown state (S4), and all devices are put into D3. WOL from S4 or S5 is unsupported. Network adapters are explicitly not armed for WOL in either S5 or S4 cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of invalid wake-ups when an explicit shutdown is requested. Therefore, WOL is supported only from sleep (S3) or hibernation (S4) states in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @ jeffjohn1941

(1) You can make sure you port forwarding setting is correct first.
    (2) And make sure firewall rule has forwarded the rule.
    (3) Go to add a static ARP on your SBG.
    e.g. arp -s 192.168.1.3 00:1E:33:28:4E:F9

Then it should be work.
    And you can reference to FAQ.

• jeffjohn1941
    Hi Stanley - thanks for your guidance. I did follow all of those settings (1-3)  but without success. I am currently forwarding port 9 udp to the PC address.  If I use Teamviewer, it does not wake. If I use a WoL app, should I use a broadcast address (192.168.1.255) or the specific IP address 192.168.1.12.
  • jeffjohn1941
    Thanks for comments, but I have followed all the text book stuff, I believe. A thought though: my two PCs ( on different WANs) both have Norton NIS active - could this be the source of my difficulties?
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @ jeffjohn1941 

If your PC is shutdown, then Norton service will stop working. So it will not effects WOL traffic.

But before shutting down you PC, you can make sure if PC is able receives magic packet succesfully. (you can capture packets by Wireshark)

And also I have paste my Teamviewer and 3rd party application(named WOL Control) configuration for your reference.

• jeffjohn1941
    Many thanks for your support. I have tried via IoS phone using WOL CONTROL. This reports a Runtime Error; "application error occurred on server". SBG seems to be blocking. I have opened Ports 7:9 UDP/TCP to the dormant PC address. is this correct procedure?
  • jeffjohn1941
    Many thanks for your patience, but still no luck. I am away from my uk system (in France) currently but shall explore further with wireshark on my return in a few weeks. Most likely I shall use a remote power switch to wake the PC. ( I am assuming there should be no WoL problems with a Dell Vostro, as it is referenced in the BIOS and network card. My french system I waken using Aviosys DS9258 with no problems.
  • jeffjohn1941
    Answer ✓
    Many sincere thanks for your assistance. I am embarrassed, however, to say that I now understand my problem was due to Win 10 Pro not supporting Wake from the PC power-OFF.  After leaving in S3, (sleep) state no problems with Wake.
  • jeffjohn1941
    Answer ✓
    MS state:
    In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, the default shutdown behavior puts the system into the hybrid shutdown state (S4), and all devices are put into D3. WOL from S4 or S5 is unsupported. Network adapters are explicitly not armed for WOL in either S5 or S4 cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of invalid wake-ups when an explicit shutdown is requested. Therefore, WOL is supported only from sleep (S3) or hibernation (S4) states in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.
  • jeffjohn1941
    MS quote:

Security Highlight