USG60 with 4G USB Modem on Verizon

TAPTech
TAPTech Posts: 165  Master Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector
edited April 2021 in Security
I've tried both a Novatel USB551L and Pantech UML295 usb 4G modem on my ZYXEL USG60, but haven't been able to connect.  The Pantech seems like the better option as it can be configured to connect automatically without the need for a specific driver or software application.  Has anyone had luck with either of these units?  They both seem to power up alright, but I'm thinking it may be a limitation of the available power on the USB ports.  

Best Answers

• TAPTech
    Answer ✓
    Just wanted to update this post- unfortunately we couldn't get this to work reliably.  After a couple calls to Zyxel tech support, it seems that USB modems like these are very uncommon.  We decided to simply purchase a Netgear LB1121 which worked right off the bat.  The device is nice in that it is PoE, so we can run it to a different area of the building with a better signal and don't have to worry about a power supply.
  • TAPTech
    Answer ✓
    Just wanted to update this post- unfortunately we couldn't get this to work reliably.  After a couple calls to Zyxel tech support, it seems that USB modems like these are very uncommon.  We decided to simply purchase a Netgear LB1121 which worked right off the bat.  

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @TAPTech

Welcome to Zyxel Community. :) 

The USG dongle connection has support for specific dongle and version.

You can make sure your dongle firmware version is matched to this list.

ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/USG60/3g_dongle_document/USG60_5.xlsx

• TAPTech
    Hello,

Thank you for this Stanley.  The 551L has the correct firmware, it looks like the UML295 isn't listed on the sheet though.  USG60 has the latest 4.3x firmware.
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @TAPTech

I will send you private message for check this issue more detail.
  • TAPTech
    It works!  Here is what did it:
    Plug the UML295 into my laptop and turn the "Automatic connect" feature OFF.
    Remove all the cellular profiles on the USG60.
    Reboot the USG60
    I am not sure if it matters, but I left the UML295 plugged in while the USG60 booted up.

It automatically configured and started working! 
  • TAPTech
    Answer ✓
    Just wanted to update this post- unfortunately we couldn't get this to work reliably.  After a couple calls to Zyxel tech support, it seems that USB modems like these are very uncommon.  We decided to simply purchase a Netgear LB1121 which worked right off the bat.  The device is nice in that it is PoE, so we can run it to a different area of the building with a better signal and don't have to worry about a power supply.
  • TAPTech
    Answer ✓
    Just wanted to update this post- unfortunately we couldn't get this to work reliably.  After a couple calls to Zyxel tech support, it seems that USB modems like these are very uncommon.  We decided to simply purchase a Netgear LB1121 which worked right off the bat.  

Security Highlight