USG60W poor wireless range

ChrisM
ChrisM Posts: 6  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hi All,

I have recently purchased and connected a USG60W to my Sky modem which provides my internet connection.

The Sky modem provides very good wireless network range and connection stability.

Unfortunately, my USG60W, which is located next to the Sky modem provides very poor wireless range.

Using my laptop, I can see & connect to the Sky modem 100% reliably, whereas the same laptop in the same location is unable to connect to the USG60W. Obviously, I could move my laptop closer to the USG60W, but shouldn't I be getting the same wireless range/service from the USG60W?

Is there any special configuration I need to enable to get a better service from the wireless network? The USG60W is running with default settings.

Chris

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie Posts: 30  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi @ChrisM,

You should select the correct country code in the USG60W and try specific channel.
    As I know the channel 6 in the 2.4GHz radio and the band 1 and band 4 channel of 5GHz can launch the max. output power.
    Confirm the antenna was screwed tightly, which also interfere the Tx power.

• ChrisM
    ChrisM Posts: 6  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @IKLe,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I can see in my Monitor->Wireless->Ap Information/Radio List the two wireless radios: AP1 is using channel 6 with Tx Power 15 and AP2 is using channels 36/40 with Tx Power 17.

I don't seem to be able to find where I set the country code. According to the help, the setting should be on Configuration->Wireless->Controller and there should be a Country Code selector. All I see on that page is Registration Type Manual / Always Accept and Apply / Reset.

The Group Output Power Setting for both radios is 30dBm.

I am using firmware V4.25 if that makes any difference.

Chris
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    edited October 2017

Hello ChrisM,

Per discussed,

The wifi signal issue should be disappeared and your laptop can connect to the USG60W via wifi after co-working with you. 

Charlie

• kaine
    kaine Posts: 5  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Hello,

I have the same problem of ChrisM but I don't understand the reply of Zyxel_Charlie.
    Can you help me?

Thank you

Gianluca
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    edited April 2018
    @kaine
    You can try to modify the country code to US with fixed channels for testing purpose. (2.4G:ch.6  or 5G: ch.36 for example). I’ll private message you the steps in detail..
    Charlie
  • Horia
    Horia Posts: 33  Freshman Member
    Friend Collector First Comment
    @Zyxel_Charlie
    I have also trouble with wifi and an USG40W. In the 4.25 version of the firmware, I have the same problem: no country codes indicated there...
    thanks in advance for your help!
  • bymusty
    bymusty Posts: 17  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector
    Hello.

CLI comments for using country  code : 

>configure terminal

(config)# country-code debug activate

(config)# write

(config)# exit

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @Horia

The WiFi output power is defined by different country legal and it should not deviate the law.

• Horia
    Horia Posts: 33  Freshman Member
    Friend Collector First Comment
    @Zyxel_Stanley
    Ok, fine! But then why we have here instructions of how to use a setting in the software, that is in reality not available, or not legal to use?
    I read a few other similar forum discussions, all of them are talking about a meniu point in the firmware that in fact does not exist, at least not when I buy the stuff in Europe, it seems...

Security Highlight