NAS326 - Is it possible to add drive to second slot without formatting?

Options
aksimoN
aksimoN Posts: 10  Freshman Member
edited November 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hello, I have two drives in my nas326: 3Tb in first slot and 1Tb in second slot. Now i bought third drive 8tb. 
I want to copy data from 1Tb drive into 8Tb drive and then I want to switch them in second slot.

I started to copy data from 1Tb to 8Tb drive. Is it possible to switch them later without  formatting 8Tb drive which will be new in slot 2? 

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No. The box will insist to format the disk before making it accessible. You can pull the 3TB disk, put in the 8TB disk, create a volume on it, copy over the data from the 1TB disk (preferably using the file manager in the webinterface. That is faster than the detour outside), and finally exchange the 1TB disk by the 3TB disk.

I understand from you question that you don't have backups. Keep in mind that your NAS or its disks will fail, some day.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No. The box will insist to format the disk before making it accessible. You can pull the 3TB disk, put in the 8TB disk, create a volume on it, copy over the data from the 1TB disk (preferably using the file manager in the webinterface. That is faster than the detour outside), and finally exchange the 1TB disk by the 3TB disk.

I understand from you question that you don't have backups. Keep in mind that your NAS or its disks will fail, some day.
  • aksimoN
    aksimoN Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Tnx for info. Is there batter way to move file than through webinterface? 
    How do I find USB drive in midnight commander?
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    Is there batter way to move file than through webinterface?
    The trick is doing the move/copy on the NAS itself, instead of on a samba client. So you can use the webinterface (which backend runs on the NAS), or an ssh shell, or Midnight Commander in an ssh shell on the NAS.
    How do I find USB drive in midnight commander?
    In /e-data/

Consumer Product Help Center