NSA 325 keeps rebooting

Options
mvlasich
mvlasich Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited June 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi,
I have a NSA 325 and it tries to reboot all the time. I had it shut down for a few weeks but now I cannot get it up again. If I plug it in just the powerbutton lights up a few minutes long the nas tries to do something, then the powerbutton light goes out but just for miliseconds and comes back on. If I disconnect the power cord and plug it back in again the nas starts automaticly just like during operation. Could somebody help me? Did someone experience somethin similar? I already tried to start with and without disks, also tried to push the reset button but it does not help.
Thanks for your help in andvance!

#NAS_Jun_2019

All Replies

• Mel
    Mel Posts: 83  Ally Member
    Options
    If you have already tried to reset it and there is still the same (keep rebooting) when it with disk or without disk, I think this may a hardware problem of NSA325.
  • mvlasich
    mvlasich Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    Options
    Hi Mel,
    thanks for your answer. Do you know should the NSA beep if I push the reset button? It does nothing. I read somethin about firmware problems and that you should boot with an usb stick, you think that could help?
  • Mel
    Mel Posts: 83  Ally Member
    Options
    Checked the user's guide about HW reset.

I read something about firmware problems and that you should boot with an usb stick, you think that could help?
    Do you mean use USB key to do firmware upgrade? But I find the file link, but it seems no longer available (https://homeforum.zyxel.com/discussion/466/nsa325-firmware-upgade-problem).
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    The reset button only works if the firmware is up. In that case it'll beep, else it won't.

You can try the firmware recovery stick here: http://zyxel.diskstation.eu/Users/Mijzelf/RescueSticks/

• Oliver_Swiss
    Oliver_Swiss Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    Options
    I have got the same issue that my NSA325 is constantly re-booting. Reset doesn't work and tried your rescue stick. When I downloaded the rescue stick from the link above, the files are labelled "NSA310_fw" - is this relevant? I'd appreciate a hint for how to use the rescue stick, please.
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    the files are labelled "NSA310_fw" - is this relevant?

No. The script was first written for a 310, being the first ZyXEL NAS having a Kirkwood SoC, and it also works for the 325. The big binary (ras.bin, when I remember well) is specific for the 325.

You should extract the zip to a FAT formatted USB thumbdrive, and plug that in the back port of your 325, and then power it on. The firmware version expressed in the .zip's filename should be flashed on your NAS, and then the NAS powers off. Remove the thumbdrive and turn the NAS on again.

• Oliver_Swiss
    Options
    Thank you very much! I'll instantly try
  • Oliver_Swiss
    Options
    Unfortunately, no success - can never get to the power down situation, when unplugging only.
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    Bummer. There are 2 possibilities, either the box' boot process doesn't reach the point where it checks for the thumb-drive, or the thumb-drive itself is not compatbile, maybe due to the timing problem.

Consumer Product Help Center