NAS 540 HDD upgrade

Options
badkernel
badkernel Posts: 5  Freshman Member
edited November 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hello all
I am running 4x1TB disk setup in RAID5 and want to upgrade all HDD to ether 4 or 8 TB size.
Can you please explain step by step what needs to be done to complete this action.
If possible point me to zyxel official document that explains this procedure.

#NAS_Nov_2019

All Replies

• eozrocwd
    eozrocwd Posts: 58  Ally Member
    Options
    I would like to backup 1TB data in somewhere temporality, then re-create new RAID 5 for 4 or 8TB size. After done, copy 1TB data back to NAS.
  • badkernel
    Options
    Is it possible to do this with out re-creating  RAID5 and avoiding copying data to another device ?
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Yes. You can exchange the disks one by one, letting the array resync in between. If all disks are exchanged, you'll have a button in the webinterface to enlarge the volume.

Keep in mind that, unless you are running firmware <5.10, the box doesn't support volumes bigger than 16TiB. 4*8TB in raid5 gives a max volume of ~24TB, so not all diskspace can be assigned. The firmware offers you a way to create a 2nd volume in the remaining space, but I don't know what that looks like.
  • badkernel
    Options
    @Mijzelf Can you please explain the steps for removing one drive and inserting bigger one, specifically where in the GUI menu one  can release old drive and connect new one?
    Is this done while unit is powered or not ? I'm trying to avoid pitfalls before I do this.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    You don't need to release the disk in the GUI. By pulling it, the array will be degraded, and a new disk will automatically be added to the array. Unless the disk is not recognized as new, in that case you'll have to start the resync from the GUI.

Wait before you pull the next disk until the array is not degraded anymore.

Thereretically you don't need to poweroff the NAS before pulling a disk and inserting another one. The box supports hotplugging, and hotpulling is always supported, as the is no difference with a dying disk. But I would power it off. Just for safety.

Consumer Product Help Center