Content filtering question

Options
sk8erbender
sk8erbender Posts: 74  Ally Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hi everyone. What does Private ip addresses stand for? Does it add any security?
"Web pages for Private IP addresses are those reserved for use internally in corporations or homes."
Can you give an example of what it blocks ?
Thank you.

Comments

• ChrisGer
    ChrisGer Posts: 205  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    Hello @sk8erbender
    The Content Filter can be configured as shonw, this example block any category (only for testing) and in the categories are a mass of URL placed. The url is served by a central database and updated during your active license for a USG. You can also place you own URL in black-/whitelists.

Regards
    Christian

• sk8erbender
    sk8erbender Posts: 74  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    I need to clarify what does category "Private IP Addresses" stands for ? What does it block exactly.
    Give me example.
  • ChrisGer
    ChrisGer Posts: 205  Ally Member
    Options
    Hello @sk8erbender
    is the following example from a ZYXEL handout ok for clarifiying your question ?

Private IP Addresses
    Sites that are private IP addresses as defined in RFC 1918, that is, hosts that do not require access to hosts in other enterprises (or require just limited access) and whose IP address may be ambiguous between enterprises but are well defined within a certain enterprise.
    For example, 172.21.20.123, 192.168.35.62.

Regards
    Christian

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @sk8erbender
    What is functionality of Private IP Addresses on Content Filter~~
    From USG's descriptions,"Sites that are private IP addresses as defined in RFC 1918, that is, hosts that do not require access to hosts in other enterprises (or require just limited access) and whose IP address may be ambiguous between enterprises but are well defined within a certain enterprise. For example, 172.21.20.123, 192.168.35.62."

I show you my lab as your example. I added the internal Server which has"private IP": 10.214.30.67, and FQDN is www.testttt.com.tw(also create this details on DNS)

Set the configuration on Content filter page and on security policy page.

After you enter 10.214.30.63, and the Private IP will be blocked by USG.

Log Message: 
    After you enter www.testttt.com.tw

Log message

Charlie

Security Highlight