Hiding my NAS' torrent downloads?

Options
StuartOswald
StuartOswald Posts: 8  Freshman Member
edited November 2017 in Personal Cloud Storage
I have an NSA310.

I use my NAS exclusively to download torrents. Seperatly I use a VPN to access geo-blocked content.
  • Can anyone explain to me how within my NSA310 I am able to route my traffic so that torrent downloading is hidden?
Thanks for any suggestions.

#NAS_November

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    *If* you can install a bridge or router on one of the VPN devices, on the VPN interface, and you can connect the NAS to that new network, you'll have your VPN tunnel.

Another option is to install Entware-ng and use that to install  OpenVPN client. The needed tun module is available in the package zyxel-modules-2.6.31.8. Don't know how you should tell the torrent client to use the tunnel. I guess you can find that in the Transmission documentation.

All Replies

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Options
    Hi @StuartOswald
    Could not fully understand what do you mean.
    Do you mean the torrent file you download then is hidden or you want to download the file, then do hidden to the file?
  • StuartOswald
    Options
    Thanks for the response.

No, nothing to do with files.

I am thinking more along the lines of a VPN to hide my P2P traffic. How can I enter VPN settings on my NSA310?

Thanks,
  • Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Options
    I think this is hard to do as NSA310 doesn't support VPN function.
    Maybe there is someone could provide the way to you.

• Fredzoul1
    Fredzoul1 Posts: 97  Ally Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Many router have VPN function integrated, I little search on Google and you can find one. 
    I don't know what model by Zyxel provide this function.

• StuartOswald
    Options
    I can't change my router. Is there a way to add proxy settings or even change the DNS (if that would be effective for hiding p2p traffic). Thanks and hope the community can help.
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    Do you have a VPN client active in your network?
  • StuartOswald
    Options
    Yes, I use VPN, proxy and DNS changes on a number of devices.
  • Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    Options
    *If* you can install a bridge or router on one of the VPN devices, on the VPN interface, and you can connect the NAS to that new network, you'll have your VPN tunnel.

Another option is to install Entware-ng and use that to install  OpenVPN client. The needed tun module is available in the package zyxel-modules-2.6.31.8. Don't know how you should tell the torrent client to use the tunnel. I guess you can find that in the Transmission documentation.
  • StuartOswald
    Options
    Just coming back to see if anyone has a full solution to this. I like the idea of a router to handle the VPN connection. It's great to see the suggestion of a NAS app. But I wondered if anyone has an actual solution for the NAS that will work. Is there any other way to secure my torrent downloads. Via proxy perhaps?

Consumer Product Help Center