NAS326 does not work

nihilin
nihilin Posts: 5  Freshman Member
edited November 2017 in Personal Cloud Storage
I got my NAS326 today, installed the HDDs and tried it but I can't find the NAS. There was only a quick start guide included and had to google a lot till someone mentioned the NAS Starter Utility tool which I downloaded. With that, it seemed that my NAS was found but without a name or IP address. I tried to configure it manually or enabling the DHCP but nothing works.

Has anyone experienced the same or has an idea how to fix this? Otherwise I will return it while I'm still able to do so...

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,600  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Have a look in the webinterface of your router. Did the NAS get an IP address? Do the LEDs blink at both sides of the network cable?
  • nihilin
    edited November 2017
    Unfortunately the router is provided by our business provider. Have to let my service provider check that since I have no access to the router but there were already a lot of devices connected to it and the NAS326 is the first one with problems so I doubt it's a problem with the router.

Yes, the LEDs are blinking.
  • Fredzoul1
    Fredzoul1 Posts: 97  Ally Member
    Hi, I think the nas haven't problem, perhaps a network problem a this time. Ask your business provider to check if an IP adress is allocated to the nas in the router GUI like mijzelf said..
  • nihilin
    edited November 2017
    I called them today and told them my problem. They said that everything is fine and works accordingly which I don't doubt since I never had problems with various devices during the last 7 years except with the new NAS...

They also tried to solve the problem with me on the phone but we couldn't find a solution.

Don't know what to do now except for sending it back while I'm still allowed to  :-(
  • Rory
    Rory Posts: 120  Ally Member
    Answer ✓
    @nihilin

Did they check the DHCP client list of router?
    It can know if router provide IP to NAS.
    Moreover, did you try to run the tool as administrator?

I found some articles for you reference:

https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=015047&lang=EN
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=015052&lang=EN
  • nihilin
    edited November 2017
    @Rory

Thank you so much, that was some quality answer! With your answer and a bit of Google regarding the reset function, I found the solution.

I just had to press the reset button for about 20 seconds to make a full reset and after that, the NAS got an IP from the DHCP. Already tried the reset button before but only pressed it till the first beep which wasn't enough. From what I read online the first beep resets the admin password and the IP address, the second beep opens a backdoor and the third beep resets to factory defaults and that was needed in my case.

Would be really helpful if the reset function would have been described in the little user manual.
  • PJC
    PJC Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    The Zyxel utility ain't that good, sometimes it discovers, sometimes it doesn't.
    Just take a look at your router, it knows where it put the thing.
    Windows explorer can also find it under the 'Network' drives.
  • DanielS
    DanielS Posts: 1  Freshman Member
    SOLVED: I had the same problem. In my Router (from ATT) I found the IP Address of the NAS326 and then connected in my browser, typing that address, eg. 192.168.1.123. Then I could log in and now I'm formatting my new hard drives. ;-)
    Sad to say that 90% of non-IT people never get this far. This is a big 1 star for Zyxel...

Consumer Product Help Center