Add support for any unicode char in SSID

BuBuaBu
BuBuaBu Posts: 2
First Comment
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
Hello,
An SSID can be made of any byte, 32 bytes long.

Unfortunately the web interface only accept a subset of ascii char and reject any configuration file that contains anything else in the ssid.

Could you add support for any UTF char in the SSID?
That was something available in all my previous AP and I never get issue with any station.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BuBuaBu ,
    For create a SSID profile on the NWA210AX web UI, you can go to CONFIGURATION> Wireless> AP Management> WLAN Setting, and edit the default profile with the pencil icon, or add a new profile via the + icon as below screen shot.

After click one of the MBSSID Settings, you can edit the SSID name and edit/create a security of the SSID on the same page as well.

When you complete the configuration, click "OK" and "Apply", and then the AP will broadcast the SSID you created on the web UI.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Freda
    Hi @BuBuaBu ,
    The UTF-8 is supported from the NXC v6.10 version. Here's the steps to apply a SSID with the UTF-8. 
    1. To add an SSID profile and edit the SSID with UTF-8. There's a warning message pop-up when you key in a symbol. Click "yes" to keep editing. 

2. The GUI will show the ASCII of the SSID, and please do not over the length 32.

3. After completing the SSID profile setting, it's needed to select the SSID to a radio to broadcast. 

Here's the support model list for your reference.
    All 802.11ax models
    WAC6500 series
    WAC6303D-S
    WAC6103D-I
    NWA5123-AC
    NWA5123-AC-HD
    WAC5302D-S
    NWA1302-AC
    NWA1123-AC-HD
    NWA1123-AC-Pro
    NWA1123-ACv2
  • BuBuaBu
    BuBuaBu Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited December 2020
    Thank you for your answer. I succeed to create a SSID with unicode, but things are working a little bit differently from your screenshot.
    1. I never saw the popup with the warning
    2. When editing ssid, the "ASCII" field is missing

3. When editing an SSID created by the wizard, unicode is not accepted (that why I was thinking unicode were not supported)

Also, I don't know how to create a SSID profile from GUI.

I'm using the local web ui, on a NWA210AX with 6.10 version.

ps: when using conf file, SSID must be encoded with punycode.
  • Zyxel_Freda
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BuBuaBu ,
    For create a SSID profile on the NWA210AX web UI, you can go to CONFIGURATION> Wireless> AP Management> WLAN Setting, and edit the default profile with the pencil icon, or add a new profile via the + icon as below screen shot.

After click one of the MBSSID Settings, you can edit the SSID name and edit/create a security of the SSID on the same page as well.

When you complete the configuration, click "OK" and "Apply", and then the AP will broadcast the SSID you created on the web UI.
  • BuBuaBu said:
    Thank you for your answer. I succeed to create a SSID with unicode, but things are working a little bit differently from your screenshot.
    1. I never saw the popup with the warning
    2. When editing ssid, the "ASCII" field is missing

3. When editing an SSID created by the wizard, unicode is not accepted (that why I was thinking unicode were not supported)

Also, I don't know how to create a SSID profile from GUI.

I'm using the local web ui, on a NWA210AX with 6.10 version.

ps: when using conf file, SSID must be encoded with punycode.

Were you able to create or modify an SSID to contain a unicode emoji via web interface on NWA210AX? I am running version V6.30(0) and trying to create SSID with emojis and getting the same as you show in your screenshot.

The Web UI won't enable save with Unicode characters in SSID. Is unicode supported?
    I might try to Inspect page, manually enable Save button and try to save but it probably won't work because I'm sure the input field wont be encoded into punycode by any function.

I can try doing Unicode to Punycode conversion then taking the result directly into the config file and uploading it to the NWA210AX and rebooting to see if that works, haven't tried this yet.

Any progress on your end? Did you get Unicode characters to work?
  • Zyxel_Richard
    Zyxel_Richard Posts: 218  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2022
    Dear Customer: 

Sorry for causing your inconvenience, currently when the emoji isn't supported on the Wizard-created SSIDs  (user can set emoji, but no windows will pop-out, nor ASCII column will be displayed). 

For current 6.30 firmware, if you want to try emoji on SSID, please chose one of the two options below:

1. Apply the emoji on default SSID, and use it in your WLAN settings

2. You can reset your AP to default settings, and skip the Wizard.
    After that, you can press the "+" button on the WLAN setting page, then the new created SSID can be set with Emoji without problem. (please refer to Freda's screenshot above)

Best Regards,
    Richard