[NEBULA] Disable 2.4Ghz transmission on selected NAP203

Wicky
Wicky Posts: 42  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment Ideas master
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Is there a way to disable 2.4Ghz transmission completely on selected NAP203 ? 

Comments

• Pathfinder
    Pathfinder Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Hi,

In the configure SSID section you can choose 5 GHZ only.

/Remy
  • Wicky
    edited December 2017
    Hi,

In the configure SSID section you can choose 5 GHZ only.

/Remy
    idd but I want to disable 2.4Ghz only for a subset of AP's. I have already 2 SSID's.  All AP's need to broadcast on 5Ghz for a specific SSID 1 and only a subset of them on the second SSID 2. Why ? Well the penetration in my house is such that 2 AP's are enough on 2.4Ghz to cover the whole house. Further I can only use 2 non-overlapping channels (6 and 11) as channel 1 has a high interference from my alarm system. If I want to install another or maybe 2 APs they should only broadcast on 5Ghz for the prime SSID 1 to get maximum throughput everywhere. However, having these broadcasting also on 2.4Ghz, even on 1dbm (effective 5dbm, bug ?) results in intereference. Therefor I don't want these AP's not on 2.4Ghz only 5Ghz. 
  • Pathfinder
    Pathfinder Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Hi, your requirements are clear and valid but I am unable to give you an answer. Sorry.
  • Zyxel_Dean
    Zyxel_Dean Posts: 237  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2017
    Hi @Wicky
    You can use the SSID tags function to determine which APs to broadcast which specific SSIDs, check this FAQ out, Link here . You can assign the same tag to the AP and SSID you want to broadcast. 
    For the 5dbm value, that is the minimum power output required to broadcast a SSID.

Also ,@Pathfinder thanks for your help :)

Dean

• Wicky
    Hi Dean,

This looks to solve my issue but I need to check this. 

But it raises 2 questions :

I have seperated my 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz network currently into SSID1 (5Ghz) & SSID2 (2.4Ghz). In this config I can create tags TAG1 and TAG2. Where AP1, AP2 have TAG1 and AP3 has TAG2.
    Next I have attached TAG1 & TAG2 to SSID1 and TAG1 to SSID2.
    So this would result in AP3 not broadcasting anything on 2.4Ghz ? Does this in the end mean that there is no radio enabled for 2.4Ghz on that AP3 ? I want to minimize interference as much as possible in the 2.4Ghz. The signals from the different AP's are overlapping too much with strong signal stregnth

But as I'm still in the process of finding the most optimum setup it could be that I only want 1 SSID broadcasting on both bands and using band select. In this case I'm not able to seperate the 'offending' AP's anymore unless I can duplicate the SSID and attach different configs to it (2.4 & 5 concurrent band) and (5 only). Then I can solve this again seperating the AP's with different tags. But this seems not possible ?

Regards,

Dirk
  • Zyxel_Dean
    edited December 2017
    Hi Dirk,
    So this would result in AP3 not broadcasting anything on 2.4Ghz ? Does this in the end mean that there is no radio enabled for 2.4Ghz on that AP3 ?
    That is correct, the 2.4G radio is turned off if there is no SSIDs needed to be broadcasted so expected no interference generated fromt AP3.
    Although for your setup my way of doing it is I will apply a tag to SSID2 then apply it to AP1 and AP2, let alone SSID1 without a tag so it will able to broadcast across the APs within the site, a different way for your reference. 

But as I'm still in the process of finding the most optimum setup it could be that I only want 1 SSID broadcasting on both bands and using band select. 

From current features available on NCC the best way is by seperating with SSID tagging function, the only way possible of acomplishing by 1 SSID is through CLI if you are familiar with Zyxel APs, but I don't encourage doing configurations or anything with CLI this because it will cause unsynced configurations between the device and NCC. 

Dean
  • Wicky
    Also valuable to mention as was suggested by support (Dean) is to create a separate site. In that case you create the same SSID with only 5Ghz enabled and put the AP's  that only have to send on 5Ghz there. On the first site you can then define the same SSID with both 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz enabled. 
    This is in fact the only way use the AP's which broadcast the same SSID on both 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz and another set of AP's that only broadcast on 5Ghz.
    The previous solution works if you have seperate SSIDs for your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network.
  • Zyxel_Dean
    Glad I could help =)
  • Zyxel_Dean
    Hi Everyone,
    An update to this topic, we have decided to put the feature to enable/disable 2.4/5Ghz radio in the roadmap. 
    Thanks to discussion with Dirk (@Wicky ) we think it's something that should be given to users to configure and maximize the capabilty of an access point. If any good suggestions or discussions, we welcome you to participate and exchange ideas with everyone else.
    Good wishes to you all and enjoy the up-coming holiday B) .

Dean
  • Wicky
    Hi Dean,

I have been looking into the new features but haven’t found an easy option to simply disable one of the two radios on the AP’s. Has this feature not made it ?
    As I’m expanding my network it would be valuable.

As suggested it can be accomplished by putting the aps on different sites and using the same SSID. However, does this have any impact on roaming ? Especially, the assisted roaming option (Enable 802.11k/v) that can be activated per ssid and site. Is there an impact when aps are separated in different sites but still have the same ssid and this assisted roaming enabled in both sites ? I could imagine that the list of available aps are grouped by site and not ssid which would compromise the assisted roaming functionality

gr

dirk

Nebula Tips & Tricks