[NEBULA] VMG8924-B10A - other options

IanUk
IanUk Posts: 5
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Hi,

My networking knowledge is fairly basic - although I do know my way around IT more generally - and was looking to learn a bit more as I set-up my home network.

When I get my home broadband connection I was given a broadband router, a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A.  This worked okay but I had quite a few issues with wireless coverage, and tried a couple of alternative access points located in the centre of the house.  I also added quite a few hard wired points around the house - using CAT6 cable and wall plates.

I've now replaced the old AP with a Zyxel Wireless Accesspoint (NWA1123) and added a Zyxel 8-port unmanaged switch (GS1920-8HP).... both of which support Nebula management which I'm quite impressed with so far.

The VMG8924-B10A has a number of features; wifi and 4 physical ports (1 used to add switch to the internet) that I'm not really using and I wondered if there were other options that could also be managed through Nebula and whether they provided any advantages?  This is where some of my networking knowledge starts to fall short - what options have I got for replacing it and what do I need to think about?  I'm aware for example that the VMG8924-B10A provides other things like DHCP that I'm still going to need.  I'm not even sure what category of product I'd be looking for here, is it an ADSL modem or is it something else?

any observations gratefully received,
thanks
Ian

All Replies

• RUnglaube
    RUnglaube Posts: 135  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    For DHCP and routing, I have only seen the NSG devices which also comes with security, and include at least 4 physical ports for LAN connection, but they don't have ADSL connection nor provide WiFi by themselves.
    You will need to get a modem that provides connection to the NSG using Ethernet or SFP, and for the WiFi you already have an Access point :)

Good luck!

"You will never walk along"
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited November 2020
    Hi @digitalwaala,

I recently had to remove your post, because it was in breach of our forum rules. And it's not related to this discussion. You can review our forum rules in this link.

Please note that committing the same mistake will have your account suspended or  banned from accessing this resource.
    Thanks for your understanding.

Regards
    Jonas

Jonas,
  • Pook
    Pook Posts: 136  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector

I use them for all NSG Firewalls on VDSL lines, much better than standard Open Reach Modems or Vigor 130 models.

Nebula Tips & Tricks