USG20W-VPN WiFi 2.4G SSID Profile AES Not Visible to WiFi Camera? 4.33WK19

SierraTech
SierraTech Posts: 30  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited April 2021 in Security

I discovered an interesting problem. I noticed the "default" SSID Security Profile is set to AUTO (WPA2) which broadcast both TKIP & AES.

If I set SSID Security Profile to "AES", the camera does not see Router's radio and will connect to a WAP on a different channel using AES encryption (Same SSID name).

If I reconfigure SSID Security Profile back to "AUTO" the camera will see the USG radio and connect using AES.

Why would the WiFi not be visible to camera turning off TKIP? Using WiFi analyzer I see AES only. Camera will connect to a weaker AES encrypted AP, and not even list USG20W-VPN 2G WiFi channel.

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Which channel is using USG? WiFi nation/region is the correct one for your country?

Wifi country is the right one on the WiFi Camera?

I would not use TKIP for any of my wireless network, if cam do not support WPA2 AES, i should suggest you to do something different (client access point + ethernet or change camera)

• SierraTech

Thanks mMontana! Answers below:

Which channel is using USG? WiFi nation/region is the correct one for your country?

USG Set to CH6 US (Other access points on CH11 & CH1).

Wifi country is the right one on the WiFi Camera?

YES (Sold in US, and Works ON OTHER US WAPs set for AES)

I would not use TKIP for any of my wireless network, if cam do not support WPA2 AES, i should suggest you to do something different (client access point + ethernet or change camera)

I agree, not using TKIP, the Camera is connected using AES, but network is not visible if SSID Profile set for "AES" and not "AUTO". This is what is strange.

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee
    edited September 2019

Hi @SierraTech ,

Not sure if it is IOP issue. Can other wireless client see the SSID if the USG Security profile is set to “AES” at that time? If the SSID is not visible by camera, you may need to confirm with camera vendor.

• SierraTech
    I wanted to report I tested WiFi Camera with a USG60W 2.4GHz radio set for strictly AES, and it worked (stayed connect for a week), I had to shipped back USG60W when Tech Support told me WAN cannot run at gigabit speed.

I updated my USG20W-VPN firmware to 4.38 (same as USG60W) and Camera still will not connect, or see WiFi signal without TKIP in the mix (CH6).  The camera is connected using AES, but TKIP has to be included in the mix.  It seems the 2.4GHz radio in USG20W-VPN is not the same as in USG60W.

I hope what ever is causing compatibility (IOP) issue with USG20W-VPN can be solved in a firmware update.
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee

Hi @SierraTech,

Firmware: 4.38

The behavior on USG60W and USG20W-VPN are the same.

If the type of encryption - wpa2 auto is specified, then WiFi-network uses TKIP and CCMP.

If the type of encryption - wpa2 aes is specified, then WiFi-network uses CCMP only.

Security Highlight