Wax650s

Wicky
Wicky Posts: 42  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment Ideas master
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
I see that the wax650s requires Poe++. Maximum power seems just above what Poe+ can deliver. What is the effect of running this AP on a Poe+ switch delivering max 30w ? I’m running currently NAP203 points but consider upgrading some. As I’m running this stuff in an home environment I expect that this is not really an issue as there will be a limited amount of clients per point. What would be then the impact ? Speedwise ?

Comments

• Zyxel_Richard
    Zyxel_Richard Posts: 218  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2020
    Welcome to Zyxel Forum :)

WAX650S requires PoE++ because there're more smart antennas (4x4) used for data transmission. When there're lots of clients generating huge data traffic, the power consumption may beyond the PoE+ scope. If power is overdrawn, AP will then reboot itself, hence Wi-Fi service could be unstable.

But don't worry, WAX650S can auto-detect the power source and accordingly adjust power mode itself. This means when connecting to a PoE+ swtich, AP turns into "limited mode", where less antennas (2x4) are used for data transmission. So the power consumption won't go beyond 25.5W and you can enjoy the seamless wireless service.

For the service impact of limited mode, since the number of using antenna is reduced, the theoretical max. data rate accordingly decreases. But for most of the end devices where only two antennas embedded, their data rate remains the same. So I think you can confidently replace your NAP203 by WAX650S, both of them can be managed by NCC cloud or standalone, so there won't be any problem in management.

The number of using antenna is the only difference between full and limited power mode. So all the functions will remain the same and be supported in both modes.

Last part, I want to introduce a power setting function to you :)

Like you said, if the client amount is limited in your home network, and PoE+ is affordable for this case, you can force WAX650S to run in full power mode despite the power source type. This way more antennas can be used for Wi-Fi service and raise the max. data rate.

Please refer to our user guide P.172 for configuration page.Also if you're interested in the power mode related information, you can search by the key word "power mode" in the document.

(https://download.zyxel.com/WAX650S/user_guide/WAX650S_V1.0.pdf)

Best Regards,
    Richard
  • Wicky
    Hi Richard,

How would I need to interpret 2x4 ? If I'm correct this will result in a 2x3 actual configuration if you are connecting to a 3x3 capable device ? So it would mean that is would perform less then in the NAP203 3x3 ... due to the use of the extra antenna ?

I see that the WAX610D is a good alternative too as it is 4x4 without having to use the smart antenna. 

But from a connectivity point of view I think the smart antenna feature gives better results as it will ' follow' the client . That's why I consider the WAX650S instead of the WAX610D...

That said the possibility that you can force the AP to use 4x4 is good. Does this mean that it could potentially lead to a reboot in case of an overload ?
    Or is the feature smarter ? It would be perfect if it could simply fall back to a 3x3 or 2x4 configuration in case of overload ...Maybe something to consider in a feature request. Ideal would be 4x4,3x3 fallback when the power draw is too much without the reboot ...

That said. The PEO+ switch is a Draytek P1100 which is capable of delivering 30W per port effectively so that is close to the absolute max power draw of the AP. So I think it will normally not fall back even if a client would have 4x4 capabilities ... Or what is your view on this ?

• Wicky
    One additional question with regard to the WX650S is if it matters how the AP is oriented ? The NAP203 typically is mounted on the ceiling or a wall and you adapt the pattern (wall or ceiling). I assume that the WAX650S is capable to handle any orientation ? Flat on a table, hanging under a table, ceiling, wall, ... Is this correct ? This would be a good advantage as you basically can put the AP in more places without negative impact on performance.
  • Zyxel_Richard
    edited July 2020
    Hi Wicky,

Your acknowledge is correct, smart antenna provides better signal quality and performance by concentrating the radio signal to each station. And this feature requires additional power supply, that's why WAX650S requires PoE++.

If you use the PoE+ switch as the power source, potentially the AP will reboot due to power overdraw. But since we've cases where PoE+ can afford AP's power consumption when clients number are not many with normal data traffic, and AP seldom reaches the peak value and stay in PoE+ range in most of its runtime. I think you can utilize the function we mentioned above to force AP in the full mode and enjoy up to 2.4Gbps on 4x4 802.11ax devices.

The feature I mentioned is simply provide an option for users when there's only PoE+ switch deployed. So they can still enjoy 4x4 smart antenna performance in a well controlled environment, just like in your case. But when client number and data traffic raises, it requires power adapter or 802.3bt switch for stable service.

As for the deployment, you can put WAX650S in any places in your house, just make sure the connecting devices are in the line-of-sight, the signal quality would be great. (My experience is, mounted on the ceiling always gets best performance than other places, for there is less obstacles between AP and connecting devices.)
    And since WAX650S has smart antenna, it has stronger capability comparing to other APs when deployed in the same place. (this means when user is behind the wall, signal from WAX650S will be stronger than other models, hence higher rate can be reached)

Best regards,
    Richard
  • Wicky
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update. I have tweaked the position of my AP's (NAP203) already. I have the mostly on a cupboard in full sight positioned vertically. One of them even runs the ceiling orientation on vertical stand as in this way the overal somewhere in the middle of the house is minimal of 2 AP's. Also tweaked the power down. Didn't yet use the threshold but definitely considering tis to kick devices earlier. Though not really an issue anymore ...
    The WAX650S is of particular interested as I probably can drop it on a table flat (plain sight) instead of orienting the AP's in particular direction in vertical positions.

Something of course that I consider is removing the POE+ switch as I have everywhere power and the fact that the AP's are simply positioned on tables or cupboard.

Regards,

Dirk
  • Wicky
    Forgot to ask if there are any Poe bt switches on the horizon ? Preferable in a smaller configuration to be able to run them fanless ? Also something that would be good is to see switches actually able to run 2.5gb or 5gb ports 
  • Zyxel_Richard
    edited July 2020
    @Wicky

Currently we have XS1930-12HP with 803.2bt PoE and MultiGig Ethernet port, so it can fully support the high rate and power consumption coming from WAX650S.
    Welcome to refer the product page below to get detail information about the product:
    https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/10-12-port-Multi-Gigabit-Smart-Managed-Switch-XS1930-Series/

We also have another model GS-1350-6HP which provides 802.3bt PoE and fanless design, but the Ethernet port only support 1 Gbps. I'll also put the information link below for your information.
    https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/Smart-Managed-Switch-For-Surveillance-GS1350-Series/introduction

Best Regards,
    Richard