pre-buy: choosing USG20 or USG40?

Comments

• ChrisGer
    ChrisGer Posts: 205  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Horia said:
    a big thank you to PARNASSUS and CHRISTIAN G. for your higly valuable comments and inputs! They help me a lot!
    regarding connections through SSL or IPsec, as we will connect to the VPN only occasionally (to check the states of the two small servers) I think it will not be a problem if there are just a limited number of VPN-connections permitted (however, I would buy only the newer version of the USG20W-VPN, not the old one).

please note, if you are useing your modem (bridge-device), it's easier to configure a VPN connectivity from the internet to a ZYWALL.

why: L2TPoverIPSEC VPN is possible with USG20 but only with the USG20W-VPN mit v4.X Firmware (if 4.30) is released.

So, if you do not require the ISP device in a router mode, check it out with the bridge-mode and the ZYWALL establish the internet connect and not the modem :) if the modem is broken, attach a new one and you are back online ;)

Good luck for your project.
    Christian

• Horia
    Horia Posts: 33  Freshman Member
    Friend Collector First Comment
    @ChristianG
    thanks a lot for the details regarding bridge modem with firewall as a router! Yes, I know this possibility in the meantime. The use of the modem (bridge, single user, or normal) depends if we will have some other thigs connected there, like digital TV. I incline in to buy the USG40W.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118  Zyxel Employee
    Dear Horia

Take a look @ http://support.zyxel.eu/Support/30062/30085/en-GB/Portal/ContactUs
    For sure you can contact us to speak with a person or chat or email with one of the support guys!
    Just to let you know!

Kind regards

Mark_NL

• Horia
    Dear Mark,
    thank you for your reply! However, I really tried various channels (as I wrote above) and there was absolutely NO answer, for now two weeks. This is not what one expects from a customer pre-sale support! :)

For example: I looked for resellers in Austria, and the Zyxel website does not mention any, but offers me the possibility to write to the support and to request addresses for resellers. I immediately did this. But on my request I NEVER received any answer. Quite stupid, isn't it?

I tried other channels too (chat - waiting and no answer for over 30 min / phone - no answer even if in the normal bussiness times).

So now, two weeks later you kindly write me and recommend to me to go back to the same support page...(however, it was not the GB one I used, but probably the Germany one, or so... - this is also a problem. When navigating on Zyxel sites, it seems that I landed in this english-speaking forum, but later I discovered it exists also a german one - no Idea why I was brought here by clicking on support / forum, etc. and not to the german forum...)
  • ChrisGer
    @Horia
    Have you seen the following three distributors in austria ?
    http://www.zyxel.com/de/de/where_to_buy/approved_distributors_at.shtml

in your case, contact one of this, and ask about ZYXEL products and the deliverability.
    looks like she easiest way to get the device from one of them. perhapse they can give you also a dealer next to you, if they have a partnership =)

regards and a relaxed weekend
    Christian

• Horia
    edited November 2017
    @ChristianG
    thank you for the link to the austrian distributors!
    This is really incredible! I searched for this kind of page on zyxel.com, zyxel.de (or over google directly) and did not find anything but a page that was saying "if you want to have a local distributor, write us, and we will send you a list" (or similar). I really can't understand what is with these zyxel pages, and why it looks like a bad joke and a labyrinth! :anguished:
    This is the link where I landed, and I wrote my question and waited for a reply that never came:
    http://www.zyxel.com/de/de/where_to_buy/locate_a_reseller_at.shtml

I now see that I should have looked for "distributeure" and not for "fachhändler". But still, someone at Zyxel did not care about my written request.

• ChrisGer
    @Horia
    the esaiest way to get a feedback, contact the dealer directly :) if they are not selling to end customers, they should able to tell you a dealer for endusers.

Regards and good luck
    Christian
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118  Zyxel Employee
    @Horia
    i will contact you with a private message
  • Horia
    @ChristianG
    @Mark
    Thank you for your kind help and recommendations!
  • DennizOlof
    DennizOlof Posts: 20  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Horia, ah glad I could help.

You buy the product you need, I just thought it would be good to know that there are limitations to the products. Of course a expensive "top of the line" products is going to have great performance compared to cheaper products.

The main reason for me to point this out is that in some regions in the world (at least where I am) the basic standard Internet speed is now 100Mbit / 100Mbit connection. But I assume that most people are probably on xDSL or Cable Modem.

As long as speed is not an issue, cheaper products will do just fine. That said, the Zyxel devices are great firewalls. Good support and they keep them updated. Plus the fact that they are not too hard to use for most people. And they do run Linux behind that fancy GUI.

Anyway it sounds like you got a grip on things and will find the product for you.

Security Highlight