NSG300 Port Grouping

JoeCraw
JoeCraw Posts: 15  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Is it possible to set multiple LAN ports to one LAN interface on the NSG300?
Both the NSG100 & NSG200 allow that ability with Port Grouping but I can't find a way to do it on the NSG300.
It doesn't make sense that a higher model unit would have less flexibility than lower models in the same family.

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @JoeCraw,

For the NSG300, you may configure LAG to achieve the goal like port grouping.
    It's located at Security gateway > Configure > Interface addressing, then in the interface click the "Add" button.
    Choose LAG in the interface type, as picture below:

And select "balance-alb" mode.

Hope it helps.
    Jonas,
    Jonas,
  • JoeCraw
    Hi Jonas,

I don't mean grouping ports to work as one port. I mean using multiple ports for the same LAN.
    With the NSG100 & NSG200, you can determine which LAN port works with LAN1 or LAN2.
    With the NSG300, each of the 6 LAN ports all point to a different LAN with no way to have multiple ports pointing to the same LAN.
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    edited July 2020
    Hi @JoeCraw,

I think there is some misunderstanding about NSGs LAG feature.
    Configuring LAG in NSG300 could fulfill a similar behavior of NSG100/200 port grouping.
    Figure as below:

After configuring LAG, it will create new index which you could group individual LAN interfaces to the same LAN.

Hope it helps.
    Jonas,
    Jonas,
  • JoeCraw
    Yes. That is similar, but port grouping allows multiple ports with different IP address to be used on the same LAN interface. LAG allows the use of multiple ports, but one IP address, on the same LAN interface.
    Is that a correct summary of the difference?

Thanks,
    Joe
  • JoeCraw
    Yes. The different IP address has the same subnet.
    I was unaware that a LAG, using balance-alb, can be plugged into different switches. I thought the LAG has to be connected to the same switch.
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but a LAG using 802.3ad has to be plugged into the same switch. Is that correct?

Thanks for all your help,
    Joe
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Hi @JoeCraw,

Yes, using 802.3ad (LACP) should be plugged into the same switch.

You're welcome. :3
    Jonas,
    Jonas,
  • JoeCraw
    Now that I know this new trick.
    Is it possible to export a list of IP reservations from one lan interface and import it into another in NCC?
    I realize this is off topic, but now I would like to try to use the LAG with balance-alb but I have about 25 entries of IP reservations I would rather not reenter by hand.

Thanks again,
    Joe

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Hi @JoeCraw,

For the current designed, interface addressing doesn't support export/import files including clone site, due to NCC will generate different IP subnet for multiple sites' scenario to avoid IP conflict when using VPN. You'll need to input the entries one by one. However, I think this is a good idea, but the network administrator should know which IP subnet has been configured to prevent IP conflict.  I'll create a new post on the idea section about this feature to let other users knows and leave a comment. 

Thanks.
    Jonas
    Jonas,
  • JoeCraw
    Thanks for you help.

Joe

Nebula Tips & Tricks