USG60w Setup Wired and Wireless clients on same subnet

Nigelo
Nigelo Posts: 12  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Have done a full reset after applying latest firmware 4.38.

Used Easy mode to setup basic WiFi, and have wired clients on 192.168.1.x with wireless on 192.168.2.x. All clients connected without problem but no interconnection between subnets. Unable to change Wireless subnet either using EasyMode or Expert mode.

Using expert mode, setup new wireless system using exact copy of Easy Mode version. If wireless uses same subnet as wired (192.168.1.x) by changing outgoing interface, there are DHCP connection problems with many but not all wireless devices (Android smart phones / Win10 laptop etc). Changing outgoing interface back to 192.168.2.x all clients connect without problem but wireless clients unable to "see" wired clients.

How can I set up all Clients on same subnet? Alternatively, how should I link both subnets?

TIA   

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,656  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Saying wireless clients unable to "see" wired clients are you saying about file and printer sharing for MS?

• Nigelo
    Thanks but no, there is no interconnection, not even ICMP. Ideally I need all wireless and wired connections on same subnet or at least full interconection between subnet 1 and subnet 2.

Any thoughts welcome
  • PeterUK

You should be able to ping to a different subnet you may need to allow it in the USG firewall and devices.

• Nigelo
    Thanks Peter, have reviewed the default Security Policy which already has both LAN1 and LAN2 to any.

I can ping Lan1 (wired) gateway 192.168.1.1 from Lan2 and Lan2 (wireless) gateway from Lan1. I cannot ping any devices on Lan1 from Lan2 or vice versa.

Is there is another way to allow Users connected by WLAN to access LAN1 e.g. Bridge?

• Nigelo
    Disabling Security Policy made no difference as expected since LAN1 and LAN2 both set to all.

Sincere thanks for reminding about Devices which were another matter. Main problem were 2 Linux based Thecus NAS boxes on LAN1. I had overlooked 2 settings from years back
    1.  On both NAS the second UNUSED ethernet port was not connected but set to 192.168.2.x
    2. I had only set external DNS servers within each NAS setup, so changed to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 respectively
    3. Issue now completely resolved
    Somehow the incorrect NAS settings had caused conflict and interfered with overall network.

Many thanks again
  • PeterUK

To put wireless on same subnet as lan1 in expert mode go to setting > object > AP profile SSID tab edit default change for Local VAP Setting outgoing interface lan1.

• Nigelo
    PeterUK said:

To put wireless on same subnet as lan1 in expert mode go to setting > object > AP profile SSID tab edit default change for Local VAP Setting outgoing interface lan1.

This was the first config I tried well before starting this thread and immediately after a full factory reset. It plays havoc with almost all attempts to login with wireless except 1 Win10 laptop. The log shows repeated "Station xxx has " associated / authorized / deauth by STA  etc every few seconds.

I have come to the conclusion that the built in AP does not support this even if external APs managed by USG60w do.

What is Zyxel's position on this? Does USG60w built in AP support both Wired and Wireless on same LAN1 subnet??

• PeterUK
    I just got the USG60W and the settings above does put it in the same subnet as lan1.
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @Nigelo
    If you configure the wireless and wired clients on the same Lan subnet, they should be able to communicate with each other.
    It seems you created the another thread related with this case, therefore, we could discuss Here.

Security Highlight