Domain Zone Forwarder

LarrY_FIN
LarrY_FIN Posts: 3  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Hi! is there going to be possible to make Domain Zone Forwarders like in USG? I would like to configure so, that NSG would be the DNS server and that it would route internal dns requests to active directory server and others to an external DNS-server.

Comments

• Nebula_Bayardo
    Nebula_Bayardo Posts: 179  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hey LarrY_FIN, welcome to our community!
    At the moment the Domain Zone Forwarder is not available on NSG. However, I will create a feature request on your behalf in order to analyze the feasibility and put it on the road map. You will receive an email with the information.
    Thanks for your contribution to Nebula :smile:
  • WebberIT
    WebberIT Posts: 53  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment Ideas master
    edited March 2017
    um.. sorry for being a noob, what is Domain Zone Forwarder used for in practice?
  • Nebula_Bayardo
    Nebula_Bayardo Posts: 179  Zyxel Employee
    @WebberIT , A domain zone forwarder contains a DNS server's IP address.to which the gateway can query to resolve specific domain zones (FQDN without the host part, e.g: zyxel.com) for features like VPN, DDNS and the time server.

So for example, you can use domain zone forwarder while using a VPN to query a DNS server in the other site that might have specific/local domain information that google DNS servers won't be able to resolve.
  • DrWµatson
    DrWµatson Posts: 1  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Was this ever implemented? We really need this feature...
  • Zyxel_Irene
    Zyxel_Irene Posts: 118  Zyxel Employee
    edited November 2017
    Hi @LarrY_FIN and @DrWµatson
    Domain Zone Forwarder is on roadmap, and we plan to implement this feature in  1st half of 2018. :+1:

• Zyxel_Irene
    Zyxel_Irene Posts: 118  Zyxel Employee
    edited November 2017
    Hi @LarrY_FIN, @DrWµatson, and someone who need Domain Zone Forwarder,

Before Domain Zone Forwarder has been available on NCC, we could provide command line for you to setup on NSG. Please feel free to PM me for this request. =)
  • Hi! As the feature is now available, we noticed that for every DNS zone you can only set one forwarder per zone. Is it possible to enhance this to add more forwarders - you normally have more than one DNS server for redundancy reasons.
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello @DanielGeorg
    Welcome to the community and many thanks for providing your idea,
    It will help to make redundancy more convenient. I will note it and move this post to the ideas section.

/Chris
    Chris
  • Carlo
    Carlo Posts: 47  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Hi,

is this setup correct in order to use my own DNS instead of the one provided by the ISP?

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @Carlo
    If you prefer to use other DNS server then can configure it in LAN interface as the following screenshot.
    Hopes it can help.  ;)

Chris

Nebula Tips & Tricks