USG20W-VPN: Problems establishing Wifi connection / spontaneous reboots

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,026  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @DaveBayer

The wifi related fixes are included in firmware 4.35 patch2, the symptom in your environment could be another story since we haven’t heard this kind of symptom so far from other users after upgrading to 4.35 patch2.

To clarify this case, here are some question I’d like to know:

May I know what firmware version are you using before upgrade to firmware4.35(ABAR.2)?

What is it mean the wifi drops and instability, does it mean the client lose connection from wifi or the wifi was connected but the host can’t get IP address from the device?

Will the wifi disconnect symptom happen regularly randomly?

Does the disconnect issue happen on a specific PC/Laptop/Mobile or all the clients will be disconnected?

When the issue occurs , what did you do to recover the connection? By rebooting the device or wait for few minutes and the host will reconnect automatically?

• Sorry for the delay.

The current firmware version is V4.35(ABAR.2)

The previous firmware was what the device shipped with: V4.33(ABAR.0)

Wifi instability: The clients lose the wifi connection from the device. This seemed to happen randomly across all connected devices. To recover the connection, I waited a minute for the laptop's network scan to pick up the SSID broadcast again (just using the mac's wifi network finder - I was not running a separate wifi SSID finder tool) and choosing it. This only happened on the 5ghz radio profile.

The 2.4ghz radio profile is usually stable but the router is exhibiting sporadic bouts of reboots. These seem to be confined to when there is video streaming from a source on the wan interface (not vpn tunnels trunked over the wan interface as far as I can tell).

• Hello

I have the same problem with my USG20W-VPN. After updating from 4.33 to 4.35 (ABAR.2) my router is constantly rebooting when serving wifi 5Ghz. Usually it happens with big amount of traffic and much rarely when almost idle.

• Zyxel_Jerry

Hi @DaveBayer

In order to clarify the issue, could you describe more details about “The clients lose the wifi connection from the device. This seemed to happen randomly across all connected devices.?”

Please collect the diagnose info on USG20W-VPN, and also the MAC address of disconnected device when issue happened again on 5GHz.

Here’s the step to collect diagnose info on USG20W-VPN

Go to Maintenance > Diagnostics > Diagnostics > Collect > Click Collect Now

The previous you mentioned that " 2.4ghz radio profile is usually stable but the router is exhibiting sporadic bouts of reboots. These seem to be confined to when there is video streaming from a source on the wan interface.”

I would like to know about what is the video streaming type, is it igmpV2 or igmpV3?

Could you collect diagnose info and diagnose info on AP when the USG reboot issue occur and send us in private message,

You can go to Maintenance > Diagnostics > Diagnostics > Collect on AP > select the AP > click Collect Now to collect the diagnose info on AP

It’ll takes about ten minutes to finish it.

Then you can download it here.

Go to Maintenance > Diagnostics > Diagnostics > Files > select the file > click Download

• ddevilbiss
    ddevilbiss Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment

Hi Zyxel,

I too am having this issue for the last several firmware upgrades. USG20W-VPN [4.35(ABAR.3)] - older .conf. I also get this when move a lot of data across LAN as well as WLAN. This is not video files, just lots of .tiff images. I do not see the Collect on AP tab I assume that is part of the debug firmware.

I cannot remember the last time I had a stable firmware. Possibly before version 3?

Any help resolving this is appreciated. - david

• Zyxel_Jerry

Hi @ddevilbiss

In USG20W-VPN if we need to collect related AP information, it need to collect diagnose info on the device.

And also the station MAC address which connected on the built-in AP.

• thom_ko
    thom_ko Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @Zyxel_Jerry

I'm the one who started this thread back in 2018. Unfortunately I'm having the same problem again:
    Whenever I'm transferring a couple 100MB (for instance a file of 500MB) over SMB the USG20W-VPN is rebooting.

- It only happens if I'm connected via Wifi
    - My Wifi is configured to 5GHz
    - FW: V4.35(ABAR.3)

I was collecting statistics after the device rebooted, which I'll be sending to you via private message.

arikchan and @DaveBayer
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @thom_ko
    With local test with your configuration, the PC connect with 5G wifi to download 5 GB file(each file around 500MB) over Samba, and my device is working without any problem.
    However, from the diagnostic information you provide, we saw some strange messages inside. We will check further and feedback to you afterward

• thom_ko
    thom_ko Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @Zyxel_Charlie,

thanks for your feedback. Is there a way to get a coredump from the system? That might would help you to analyse the problem. Or is there enough information in the logs that you can track it down?

Looking forward to your feedback,
    Thomas
  • dudu
    dudu Posts: 6
    First Comment
    hi,
    same issue on my usg20w. Do you have an updated firmware?
    Regards

Security Highlight