GS1920-48HP for new office setup

Karkzyx
Karkzyx Posts: 6  Freshman Member
Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch

Hello,

For our new office I am looking to buy the GS1920-48HP .

We have about 44 clients, 15 of them POE (VOIP, APS, some IP cams).

Even though at 2 desks I would need to split again with another POE switch because there is only 6 cables and 8 clients. I don't know if can cause a problem to add a POE switch to a POE switch.

The Cisco RV325 has some switch ports to if needed I would connect some printer & plotter to those (if needed).

See diagram how I would do this, do I have any bottleneck with this and will the GS1920-48HP work fine?

Comments

• CrazyTacos
    CrazyTacos Posts: 53  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    PSEs generally only provide power to PDs. There should be no risk by directly connecting two PoE switches together.
    As long as there are no servers above your Zyxel switch, 44 clients should still work fine for a single Gigabit link.
    But just in case, perhaps use bandwidth control to limit client traffic. Just don't limit the ports to your security cameras for obvious reasons :)

• Karkzyx
    edited October 2017

There will be one Synology NAS connected to the Zyxel 48P .

At first I was thinking to get a 48p normal switch and a 24 poe switch both zyxel. And put some VOIP and IP cams on the 24 poe switches.

But daisy chaining these I will still lose speed ?

And I still need to have 2 switches above the zyxel 48p because there is not enough cables running those 2 working desks (only 6 cables and 8 clients).

• newtype
    newtype Posts: 29  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary SurveyFeedback-2022-Mar Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector
    no issue at all for .. "add a POE switch to a POE switch."

with today's switching technology, also no worry for "daisy chaining will lose speed".

it's just that you need to know for the 8p switch to the 48p one, the bandwidth will be limited to 1Gbps. but your design already is the optimal network based on your description.
  • Karkzyx
    edited October 2017

Thanks alot for the information. If daisy chaining is not really that bad I might be tempted to go for this option instead. Because I will never need 48ports of POE ...

I understand that the connection between the 5 port switches and the 48p will have only bandwidth of 1gbps and also the ones connected to the 24p switch. But what other option is there ? I mean is that bad to have 1gbps for our needs in such network?

The syno nas (DS916+)  will be connected to the 48port. And one more DS216. They only serve for simple file sharing.

For example at start of opening new office about 35 clients will be connected to the 48p switch (15 workstations, 10 voip phones, 2 TVs with INTEL NUC or something similar etc..).

On the 24p poe switch there would be 3 ubiquiti APs, 3/4 IP cams, couple of plotters and printers.

At the 5 port switch there will be only 4 voip phones each. I have to do split there with a stich because not enough cables.

With this setup it seems much better to me. But I mean should I worry about that 1gbps over those ports? I mean what else is there to do, but I dont think it will even be slow?

See drawing:

• CrazyTacos
    CrazyTacos Posts: 53  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Is that router used strictly for Internet access? Or does it route/VPN to a larger private network?
    If its strictly for Internet, then 1Gbps is plenty for around 50 clients in an office environment.
    Otherwise, does the router support link aggregation?
  • JasonTsai
    JasonTsai Posts: 104  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary ZCNE Nebula Level 1 Certification - 2019 Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @Karkzyx,

Welcome to Zyxel community!

There is no need to worry about the forwarding speed of switch, they will follow the wire speed 1Gbps on every port.

I suggest you concern about if the total bandwidth every switch provide your clients in your network will over 1G on uplink or not.
    For example, there are 25 clients on the GS1920-48 and they need 50M bandwidth for each to access the Internet. It is over default 1G bandwidth on the uplink port of GS1920-48, then you may consider if you need to configure and enable Link Aggregation on the uplink port to make it become 2G bandwidth.
    P.S. The uplink(router/gateway) needs to support Link Aggregation.

Hope it helps.
    Jason
  • Karkzyx
    edited October 2017
    Hi @Karkzyx,

Welcome to Zyxel community!

There is no need to worry about the forwarding speed of switch, they will follow the wire speed 1Gbps on every port.

I suggest you concern about if the total bandwidth every switch provide your clients in your network will over 1G on uplink or not.
    For example, there are 25 clients on the GS1920-48 and they need 50M bandwidth for each to access the Internet. It is over default 1G bandwidth on the uplink port of GS1920-48, then you may consider if you need to configure and enable Link Aggregation on the uplink port to make it become 2G bandwidth.
    P.S. The uplink(router/gateway) needs to support Link Aggregation.

Hope it helps.

Hey Jason, thanks for your answer.

I will use this config and use link aggregation between the 2 switches. Nothing will be connected to the router , the 48P switch will have around 30 clients and the 24port around 10.  I should be more than fine like this?

• newtype
    newtype Posts: 29  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary SurveyFeedback-2022-Mar Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector
    my opinion on this is ..
    if you only have totally less than 40 clients to be connected on the -24HP & -48, then it's best you use your original design - just one -48HP. reasons are : 
    1. one GS1920-48HP cost less than GS1920-24HP+GS1920-48
    2. in today's switching technology, it's best to have all clients directly connect to the switch, so that they can enjoy the "non-blocking" "wire-speed" switch backplane. means each client can enjoy 1Gbps interconnection without any bottleneck in between. understand you have 2 tables need remote 8-port switches, then rest of others should directly attach to ONE switch as possible. this is the best option.
  • JasonTsai
    JasonTsai Posts: 104  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary ZCNE Nebula Level 1 Certification - 2019 Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @Karkzyx,

The topology is correct, so I suggest you may configure like that first in the real environment.
    After using for a while and you feel there is not enough bandwidth for the clients, you may try to add more Link Aggregation between switch-switch or switch-router.

Hope it helps. 
    Jason
  • Karkzyx
    edited October 2017
    newtype said:
    my opinion on this is ..
    if you only have totally less than 40 clients to be connected on the -24HP & -48, then it's best you use your original design - just one -48HP. reasons are : 
    2. in today's switching technology, it's best to have all clients directly connect to the switch, so that they can enjoy the "non-blocking" "wire-speed" switch backplane. means each client can enjoy 1Gbps interconnection without any bottleneck in between. understand you have 2 tables need remote 8-port switches, then rest of others should directly attach to ONE switch as possible. this is the best option.

newtype said:
    my opinion on this is ..

Finnaly I now have decided and bought the zyxel switches , this will be the setup. Will use link aggregation from the 48HP to the 24 . Even though in start not many clients will be connected to the 24 (maybi 10 at max). But still even for 22 clients it should be more than enough on 2g.

And yeah I am aware I will be limited to 1g on the 5p switches but only 4 clients connected to each of them so should be no problem?

As router picking up the ubiquiti edgerouter pro (I know it doesn't belong here but ... :-)) .

There is no point in link aggregation this way from the router to the 48HP right? Cuz I don't really understand what Zyxel_Jason was saying there :-) I guess you was talking in case if I used a router/switch combo?