USG60 guest interface in expert mode error

DarekC
DarekC Posts: 3
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security

I have USG60 with the latest 4.35 soft.

Why can't I edit the tab with the interface settings for the guest group in expert mode. Below is the message that appears in the window when editing.In software version 4.33 it was ok. Is there any solution or should I return to the older software?

DarekC

All Replies

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @DarekC,

It is feature enhancement in firmware 4.35.

It may change the user’s setting in expert model.

For example: When an Expert mode user is using opt interface, once he enables the “Guest LAN” , opt interface will be overwritten as guest interface.

That’s why all EZ objects and rules cannot be edited but can be deleted, and the guest interface cannot be deleted or edited.

• Hi Emily,

Thanks for your answer.

How do I change the address pool for guest now? Are there any other functional surprises in 4.35?

DarekC

• Zyxel_Emily

Hi @DarekC,

You can find new enhancement of features in the release note of firmware 4.35.

The address pool for guest interface cannot be modified. It is 192.168.5.1 by default.

The guest interface is used in the Easy Mode only.

We don't allow users to change Easy Mode configurations in Expert Mode.

If you're using Easy Mode, you don't have to configure anything for the IP address of each interface. Just follow the instructions of wizard to set up.

If you're using Expert Mode, you need to create SSID profile manually and select the outgoing interface lan1, lan2 or dmz.

• Hi Emily,

I'm returning to ver. 4.33 :) Thanks for your help.

DarekC

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member

I suggest to take a little time for create manually the guest interface.

• WvandeHoef
    WvandeHoef Posts: 22  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2019

I have the same issue and cannot change the DNS settings I manually entered in 4.25 where I need to change the DNS to the newly installed pi hole in the network. The originaly setup was done manually in Expert mode without using any wizard. I am not using/controlling wifi AP from the USG

In my case port 5 of the USG 60 is handling the Guest network from the Wifi Access Points, so I prefer to set things myself. Currently the address pool in my unit is 10.11.12.x and both DNS are set to OpenDNS. Needless to say that I am not thrilled by this "enhancement".

In my opinion Expert Mode should allow the expert user to make changes at will (and own risk) where in Easy Mode the user has to accept how Zyxel handles settings.

Would saving the config and then manually editing the file and then loading the changed config work?

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member

"For example: When an Expert mode user is using opt interface, once he enables the “Guest LAN” , opt interface will be overwritten as guest interface."

I don't see OPT in my USG60

• Zyxel_Emily

Hi @WvandeHoef,

You can use commands to change the DNS server of the guest interface.

If you change the settings via command in expert mode, do not switch to easy mode to change any settings on guest interface.

• WvandeHoef
    WvandeHoef Posts: 22  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2019

Thanks for the tip. The first command gave an error for me, the correct command was:

ip dhcp pool Network_Pool_GUEST

I really hope this feature will be removed again in the next firmware update.

• The "improvement" still is avaliable in version 4.38.

In my case i cannot delete VPN Settings created in EZ Mode since i changed the IP address more than 3 times .

Very good....

Security Highlight