Why does the firmware version show as 4.35(VVVV.0)/4.35(WWWW.0) /4.35(ZZZZ.0)/4.35(YYYY.0)?

Zyxel_Emily
Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited April 2021 in Security
The behavior was mentioned on page 20 of the release note.

Select the Standby firmware row and click Reboot. 

After the device reboots, the correct firmware version is able to be shown on the web GUI.

Comments

• zdenek
    zdenek Posts: 8
    First Comment
    We do upgrade to 4.35 on USG110 from WK35, but after reboot we still see ZZZZ.0 and our model name changed to SHARE110.
  • USG_User
    USG_User Posts: 369  Master Member
    I've uploaded ZLD 4.35 to the USG110 without rebooting the device. After the upload succeeded the table shows N/A in all columns of the newly uploaded firmware. Could I nevertheless reboot the device choosing line 1 with N/A for getting 4.35 running?

• Zyxel_Emily
    Hi @USG_User & @zdenek,

Download the firmware 4.35 at myZyxel.com manually and try to upload 4.35 to USG110 manually.

After 4.35 is uploaded to USG110 and reboot the device, see if 4.35 is correctly shown on web GUI.

• USG_User
    Hi Emily,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I've already downloaded the firmware manually from myZyxel.com. This is always our prefered method. Then I've uploaded it manually into the stand-by channel of the USG without automatic rebooting. Should I now rebooting the device keeping the 4.33 running for proper recognizing of the new firmware 4.35, or could I directly choose the "N/A" channel as new startup firmware when rebooting although firmware is not yet recognized correctly?

I can't understand why Zyxel is releasing such firmware versions which are confusing the customers. This is a production system here with us and I don't have time to discover the best way first before upgrading firmware. Sorry, but not nice.
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Hi @USG_User,

If the firmware version in the standby partition shows as 4.35 and not N/A, you can select the Standby firmware row and click Reboot.

Firmware Status

Running-  4.33

Standby-  4.35

You can also backup the startup-config.conf on the Running partition 4.33 before firmware upgrading.

• USG_User
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Emily,
    so the right sequence is:
    1. Uploading the 4.35 to USG without automatic reboot. The new 4.35 will be uploaded but
        not recognized correctly. In our case shown as "N/A"
    2. Reboot the USG with keeping the 4.33 as startup firmware
    3. After reboot the USG should show the new firmware at standby-channel correctly as 4.35
    4. Reboot the USG with chosing 4.35 as startup firmware.

Will proceed in that way.
  • USG_User
    Unfortunately after rebooting the USG with current FW 4.33, the standby FW 4.35 has been shown nevertheless still as "ZZZZ.0 / share110".   But with courage we have rebooted the device now, chosing the ZZZZ.0 / share110 at standby channel as new startup firmware and after the reboot the entry ZZZZ.0 is gone and finally shown as 4.35 :)
  • CDS
    CDS Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Does anyone else have the problem that after upgrating 4.33 --> 4.35 the config is considered "bad" by the USG - and the default config loaded?
    This happens consistently for me ...
    Any idea how to find out what is "bad" and why?
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Hi @CDS,
    Connect console and collect console logs when you upgrade the device from 4.33 to 4.35.
    If it failed to apply startup configuration file, you'll find the reason in "ERROR:".

• Username_is_reserved
    Username_is_reserved Posts: 106  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Where are the new FW? I found only the old one:
    Firmware ZyWALL USG 300 3.30(AQE.7)C0 January 21, 2015

Security Highlight