Multy U problems - VPN and MS Teams

Per Omnell
Per Omnell Posts: 4  Freshman Member
Hi
I installed Multy U three days ago, and have ok speeds, but have already encountered two problems. 
1. When I start VPN to reach he company's VPN, the internet connection shuts down 
2. When I run MS Teams, the connection hacks, despite good results at speed test. I have tried conversations with different people and had problems. They, in turn, have not had any problems when talking to others. No such issues with my 6 year old Asus RT-AC66U.
Latest firmware update.
Thank you!
Per

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,028  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Dear Sir,

To clarify the issue, here is some request need your response.
    1. What is your network topology? Could you provide the topology with Gateway and IP address?
    2. To the first question, "When I start VPN to reach he company's VPN, the internet connection shuts down "
    (1)What is the client model?
    (2)Which VPN software you're using?
    (3)What type of VPN do you use? L2TP or SSL VPN?
    3. To the second question When I run MS Teams, the connection hacks, despite good results at speed test.
    (1)Could you describe more details about the connection hack?

Best regards,
    Jerry

• Per Omnell
    edited December 2020
    Dear Jerry,

Thank you for kindly responding!

I am not so good at this, so please ask more, if my answers should be too unprecise.

1. As I understand, my default gateway is 100.65.0.1. IPv4 address is 100.65.7.255.
    1st Multy (acts as router) has LAN IP 100.65.13.84.
    2nd Multy has LAN IP 100.65.7.45.
    3rd Multy has LAN IP 100.65.5.137.
    All Multy´s should without doubt be in reach of each other, so they should work as a "True Mesh", however the Multy app does not show connection between 2nd and 3rd Multy. (I have at your support pages read something about problems if you sit between 2 nodes, so that the computer can´t decide which one to choose. Please inform me if this is correct.)
    The house is a one-storey house formed as a U or C, that is with two angles.
    1st Multy is connected to a broadband "modem" without any router function.
    1st Multy is placed in our 2nd Bathroom where the "internet" comes into our house, so the signal has to travel through one thin wall to the 2nd Multy and two thin walls to the 3rd  Multy. However the system has accepted the placing of the routers via Backhaul signal check (good function!)

2. The client model is a HP EliteBook 840 G6. I am not using any special software but instead using the predefined settings from my company in the built-in feature under VPN in Windows 10 settings. The VPN server it connects to is through a L2TP/IPSec protocol. (I read in a forum that the Multy U does not work with L2TP, so I would be pleased if you could inform me and other readers regarding this, so I can decide whether to move on with some other mesh system).

3. The problems with MS Teams regarding "hacks", was that I could not hear the full dialogue, as it was all the time cut off, typically a few seconds each time. I managed to have some Teams conversation pretty well at a couple of times when I used the 2.4GHz band (I split up 2.4 and 5GHz with separate SSID's). The VPN was of course not turned on at the time.
    I however also had some Teams conversations where I had ropouts, so both picture "froze" and sound disappeared and came back 15-30 seconds later.
    Beside this we have unexpectedly lost internet connection a dozen times from iPads and mobile phones.

With our 6 year old Asus router we encountered none of these problems during the last 4-5 years.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best Regards,
    Per
  • Per Omnell
    Dear Jerry,
    I have tried to relocate the three Multys, and I checked speed on different locations after each Multy installation. I now put them in a chain, so that the 3rd Multy is farthest away from the 1st, and the 2nd between the two. I get good speeds almost everywhere when only using 2 Multys. When I added the 3rd Multy the speed was lowered considerably. When standing close to the 3rd one I got about 30MBit/s and when turning the 3rd off and standing in exactly the same position it probably connected to the 2nd Multy and that gave me 85-90 MBit/s. That leads me to think that the 3rd Multy actually connected to the 1st (router) Multy much further away. Of course the computer/phone etc connected to the 3rd for the stronger signal, but the speed was much lower due to the weaker throughput from router. 
    So here is my new question: Can the 3rd Multy connect to the 2nd in a chain or can it not?

Best Regards
    Per
  • Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,028  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Dear Sir,

Could you send the feedback on the Multy APP to us?
    We'll check and analyze the log to see if the 3rd device is connected to the second device or the first device.

Best regards,
    Jerry
  • Per Omnell
    Dear Jerry,

Thanks for your reply!
    Actually I found out, when trying to move the 2nd Multy to an optimal location, it showed in the backhaul information that it was too close to one of the Multys. When I then tried the backhaul information from the 3rd Multy, it also showed that it was too close to one of the Multys. The conclusion was that it couldn´t be anything else than close to the 2nd Multy, as the 1st was too far away, so that gave the answer to that question: the 2nd and the 3rd Multys were in fact connected. Sorry to bother you with that one.

However it is still so, that I get better result in my Study and also in my Bedroom when disconnecting the 3rd Multy. The 3rd Multy surely gives a stronger wifi signal, but with slower speed. Although it says in the app that both the 2nd and the 3rd Multys are placed in ideal locations, the internet speed drops significantly between the 2nd and the 3rd Multy. 

Maybe the house is to small for 3 Multys? It is180 sq.metres (about 1900 sq.ft).

Best Regards
    Per

Consumer Product Help Center