NAS326 backup corruption good HDDs

Nickba
Nickba Posts: 17  Freshman Member
edited October 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hello, I am having a weird problem with my NAS326. When I tried to validate my backups, I noticed they are corrupted. So I tried to make a new backup using Acronis and Macrium. Both finished the backup, but when I tried to validate, they failed. So I removed the Hdds from the NAS and connected directly to the PC using an USB 3.0 adapter. Checked the Smart parameters(they were fine) and made a new backup to each HD and everything went fine and validated!! So I assume the problem is with the NAS itself. The backup sizes are about 4TB.
Any tips of what I could try to be able to make my backups directly to the NAS?

All Replies

• lodiabai
    lodiabai Posts: 120  Ally Member
    How do you validate to your backups?
  • Nickba
    Thanks for replying. Both Acronis and Macrium have an option to verify/validate the backups.
  • Nickba
    Any tips for how to solve the issue?
  • lodiabai
    lodiabai Posts: 120  Ally Member
    What is the type of your backup job?
    As I know, if you choose Archive type on the backup plan, the NAS will generate two files(.dar, .lst) on the destination of the backup plan.
    We can use those two files to restore the data back on NAS.
    Does the "verify/validate" mean the Restore process on the NAS? What is the steps that corrupted while the restoration?
    If not, can you provide the screenshot or more detail information of the "verify/validate" works?
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Any idea how Acronis and Macrium validate it? When you use Samba, AFAIK the clock of the server (your NAS) is used for timestamps. So if it also checks on timestamps, it doesn't work.
  • Nickba
    edited October 2020
    Hello, Thanks for replying. The validation is with the backup file itself with checksums. Macrium gives you an option to repair the problem if the source files still available from the source. So I don't think it could be timestamps as during the validation(it takes about the same time of the backup) it finds a lot o errors. I don't know if it is a NAS326 firmware problem or the NAS326 hardware have a problem. The only thing I am sure is the HDDs are fine. Do you know about any tests I could perform?

Here are the steps to verify a full backup image using Macrium:

In the recent versions of Macrium, you should select "Other Actions..." to be able to select verify image.

• Nickba
    edited October 2020
    Hello again,

I have more data:
    Yesterday, I decided to put 2 new HDD(I know to old ones are good) to make a new test. I
    made a full reset of the NAS to factory defaults.
    After that I created a Basic Raid volume for Disk1 and a Basic Raid volume for disk 2.
    After that I created a share named volume1 for disk1 and a share named volume 2 for disk 2.
    After that I set it to a fixed IP, disabled Twonky and disbled the shares music photo and video.

After about 10 hours, the backup was done and now, during the verify process, Macrium reported an error and the NAS crashed(cannot turn it off by the power switch).  So I pressed the reset button to be able to shutdown. After turning it on again, the logs in the Control Panel only shows the current boot sequence. Are there any logs that I can check by ssh?

• Nickba
    More data:
    Tried to make another backup. This time the Nas326 crashed before the backup was finished! I was able to turn it off by pressing the front power button several times. Seems it was completely frozen!! If there is any logs I can check it would be great! Maybe if I could downgrade to a known good firmware or just confirm if it is the NAS326 hardware.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    It shouldn't crash, of course. Neither should the data be corrupted. Maybe the kernel log can give a clue.
    Enable the ssh server, login over ssh, start a backup, wait some time, and execute

dmesg

it shows the kernel log, and the question is if you see any alarming errors in the last part.
  • Nickba
    Hello, Thanks for replying. As each test takes about 15 hours to finish, I am thinking about downgrading the firmware. I tried, but the gui tells me that I cannot downgrade! Is there a way that I can downgrade the firmware? Maybe trough SSH?

Consumer Product Help Center