NBG6817 - WAN disappears

2»

Comments

• Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi @Runner17 ,

Sorry for any inconvenience. We are checking the detail and if there's any solution for fixing this issue, I'll update for you asap.
    Thanks.
  • PeterK
    PeterK Posts: 38  Freshman Member
    edited July 2020
    You can remote access your NBG6817 via SSH or Telnet. and check if the daemon of ppp is still up or down when it didn't receive WAN IP.

Can u provide the result of commend, ps | grep pppd and ps | grep netifd?
    try below commend when your PPPoE cannot get the IP, and after you click "Apply" on WAN Status Page.

Normally, the result will have two lines, which means the daemon is still up.
    root@NBG6817:~# ps | grep pppd
    21149 root      1460 S    /usr/sbin/pppd nodetach ipparam wan ifname pppoe-wan nodefaultroute usepeerdns maxfail 1 user XXXXXXX@XXXXX.net password xxxxxxx ip-up-scr
    31925 root      1148 S    grep pppd
    root@NBG6817:~# ps | grep netifd
    18079 root      1232 S    /sbin/netifd
    32097 root      1148 R    grep netifd

• Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi @Runner17 ,
    Would you PM me your configuration? We'll check it and if you are willing to help to capture the logs again, please click 'Apply' in the WAN setting page and capture the log to us before reboot the AP.
    Thanks.
  • Runner17
    Runner17 Posts: 9  Freshman Member
    PeterK
    Result if following, pppd is not present.
    root@NBG6817:~# ps | grep pppd
    19661 root      1148 S    grep pppd
    root@NBG6817:~# ps | grep netifd
     2365 root      1224 S    /sbin/netifd
    20284 root      1148 S    grep netifd
    root@NBG6817:~# 
    After clicking "Apply" on WAN settings page it appears, I see my PPPoE username and password in  pppd command line. However, Internet does not become available until reboot.
  • Runner17
    Runner17 Posts: 9  Freshman Member

Looks like it's quite rare issue.

But for those who will see same issue will write my solution here.

I just uploaded OpenWRT firmware to device. Full file name is "openwrt-19.07.3-ipq806x-generic-zyxel_nbg6817-squashfs-factory.bin", can be uploaded via WEB interfaces in the same way as Zyxel firmware.

Now uptime of my router is 1 week, which was not even once reached with Zyxel firmware during several months.

As additional bonuses I got:

1) crontab in the UI (missing functionality in Zyxel firmware)

2) control of startup services in UI (missing in Zyxel FW as well)

3) flexible LED control (Zyxel FW has only ON/OFF option for all LEDs)

4) network activity graphs without suspicious functionality (for unknown reason in Zyxel fw it's only possible with enabled StreamBoost)

5) better security. I's possible to disable password SSH auth and force key based auth. Standard feature for any device with SSH, however, I do not remember such option in Zyxel UI.

What I will miss:

1) Nice UI. Comparing to Zyxel UI, Openwrt looks little be ugly :)

2) ..maybe something else. I did not found info what are differences between official OpenWRT and Zyxel firmware (which is some kind of OpenWRT as well), apart from WEB interface and StreamBoost.

Special Thanks to @Zyxel_Eric and @Zyxel_Freda for their efforts!

Consumer Product Help Center