Inconsistent specification documents

Options
adischer
adischer Posts: 10  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hi there, I run an USG 110 for UTM and VPN purposes. so far my download internet bandwidth was at 200 Mbit/s and I was able to utilize the full bandwidth using UTM (AV, IDP and CF).

My internet provider recently offered my to upgrade tp 400 Mbit/s. So I checked the Zyxel specification document at

ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/USG110/datasheet/USG110_11.pdf

which on page 6 says that IDP performance (AV+IDP) is at 450 Mbit. So I upgraded only to find out that I never get even close to 400 Mbit/s. Rather, the performance is around 250 Mbit/s. I found out that I can get much higher download speed if a disable AV. 
I checked the documentation again. This time at 

https://www.zyxel.com/de/de/products_services/Next-Generation-Unified-Security-Gateway-Advanced-Series-USG310-210-110/specifications#specifications

which says that the USG 110 can only process 250 Mbit/s for AV+IDP UTM (which matches roughly my measured results). 
As per this latest link I invested into higher bandwidth really for nothing. Are these two specification sources really inconsistent ? Is there any way I can get the USG 110 upto 400 Mbit ? Or do I really have to invest into an USG 310 ? In the later case, would I be able to retire the licenses on my 110 and use them on my 310 ?

I am running the latest firmware ZLD 4.30.

Thank's for any input provided. 

Comments

• Jeremylin
    Jeremylin Posts: 166  Master Member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Options
    I do not think this is quit slow..  You can find in the datasheet throughput stats without any services active.  (1600 Mbps) I want to remind you that this is a lab test based on UDP packets.. As you know normal internet traffic is UDP and TCP traffic, this value is not actual what you will get on normal usage. Take 1/3 of this value and you will have an actual value to hold on to.. so 1600/3= 533Mpbs.. That in my eyes is normal throughput for this device..
  • adischer
    adischer Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    Hi Jeremylin, thank you for your response. Yes, you are right - 1600 Mbps is based on UDP packets. However, for UTM (IDP+AV) Zyxel states "1,460-byte HTTP packets" which I presume is closer to a real usage scenario (at least by a certain acceptable error margin). 
    533 Mbit would be really more than fine if it was achieved with packet inspection AV and IDP logic (which is actually why I bought the thing -> I want the according protection in my network). The truth is - I achieve maximum of 250 Mbit. so do I really need to upgrade to USG 310 if I want to get this kind of UTM performance ? 
    the other thing ist: the Zyxel documentation really seems to be wrong. The ftp source above really shows other data than the Https link. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    Jeremylin said:
    I do not think this is quit slow..  You can find in the datasheet throughput stats without any services active.  (1600 Mbps) I want to remind you that this is a lab test based on UDP packets.. As you know normal internet traffic is UDP and TCP traffic, this value is not actual what you will get on normal usage. Take 1/3 of this value and you will have an actual value to hold on to.. so 1600/3= 533Mpbs.. That in my eyes is normal throughput for this device..

Could be my words ;-)

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hello adischer,

We found that the specification already updated on the global web site but country web site did not update. Therefore the data number is inconsistence.

https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/Next-Generation-Unified-Security-Gateway-Advanced-Series-USG310-210-110/comparison#specifications

We will update their web page spec. asap.

For the datasheet, the USG 110 can process 450 Mbit/s for AV+IDP UTM which measured using the industry standard HTTP performance test (1,460-byte HTTP packets). Testing done with multiple flows.(Multi Session)

Charlie

Security Highlight