NSA210 Disk status Down

Chari
Chari Posts: 4  Freshman Member
edited October 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi

I'm a single bay NSA210, the disk status show healthy before. But when I open the Admin portal and check and use the scan feature under the disk. The disk status become DOWN, and now could not connect the NSA files again. 
How could I connect and get back all my important files again?  Could any peoples help and instruct me how to solve this problem.

#NAS_Oct_2019

Comments

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Did you already power cycle it?

• Chari
    Yep. I already Power OFF and restart the system. But the hard disk keep in Down status.
  • Mijzelf
    It is possible that the disk simply died. Your box is, what?, 8 years old, and I assume the disk is as old. It is also possible that the disk is still good, but the power supply can't deliver enough juice to spin up the disk. (Can you hear it spin up?)

If you have the possibility to try another powersupply, do it. Check your old supply for the needed voltage and current.

If you have a possibility to connect the disk directly to a PC, you can check if it's healthy. Do not initialize it, that's a Windows euphemism for destroying all your data.

If you can't check the disk outside, you'll have to do it inside. Try to open the Telnet Backdoor, or create an FFP-stick. If you've got shell access, come back here.
  • Chari
    Hi Mijzelf,

Thanks for help!
    Actually the box around 5~6 years old, and I change the disk 3years before.  The power supply and disk in good condition before I use the Zyxel portal disk scan features.

I tried to check the disk outside, but Windows and MAC system not support the disk format. And I eject the disk to avoid windows damage my disk.

For the disk inside, and the disk in down status.
    1. Could I still using Telnet Backdoor to open the down status disk?
    2. I did not have experience how to use Telnet backdoor, and article could teaching me how to do it step by step?

• Mijzelf
    I tried to check the disk outside, but Windows and MAC system not support the disk format.

But the disk was detected, and you could see the partitions? In that case it's not 'plain dead'.

For the disk inside, and the disk in down status.
    1. Could I still using Telnet Backdoor to open the down status disk?
    I hope so. I never had a 210 in my hands, and I vaguely remember it had some quirks, compared to other ZyXEL NASses. But I can't remember I ever read that the Telnet backdoor doesn't work, nor the opposite.
    2. I did not have experience how to use Telnet backdoor, and article could teaching me how to do it step by step?

It tells you how to open it, not how to use it. You can use PuTTY (explicitly select the Telnet protocol) to connect. If you get a login prompt, you succeeded in opening the backdoor.

• Chari
    I tried to check the disk outside, but Windows and MAC system not support the disk format.

But the disk was detected, and you could see the partitions? In that case it's not 'plain dead'.

Yep, can detect the disk, and have two partitions there.

Thanks!

Consumer Product Help Center