Debian/OMV on NAS540 gone wrong?

Options
2»

Comments

• Sir_Mc_Tod
    Sir_Mc_Tod Posts: 20  Freshman Member
    Options
    Reading that tutorial and the comments here, a question pops into my mind:
    Why flash the kernel at all if Debian and omv run on the stock kernel as well?  Are there any contraindications to run Debian on the zyxel kernel? 

• Nickba
    Nickba Posts: 17  Freshman Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hello Sir_Mc_Tod,

May I ask you how to run OMV on stock kernel? How to run Debian without flashing the stock kernel? Do you have a tutorial?

• Sir_Mc_Tod
    Options
    @Nickba
    I don't know if you can read German,  but there's a complete guide linked in the opening of this thread.  It clearly states that the kernel should only be flashed if the system is running Debian and OMV properly, that's why I'm asking. 
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    @Sir_Mc_Tod : AFAIK Debian will run chrooted on the firmware when no new kernel is flashed. When that is good enough for you, it's good enough, of course.
    Flashing your own kernel gives more freedom in loadable modules. For instance it's not possible to run iptables on the stock kernel.
  • Sir_Mc_Tod
    Options
    @Mijzelf thanks for your answer. 
    I didn't think about kernel modules and the like. 
    I'm going to think about what my nas might need a kernel module for.  (deffo not iptables, the box is sitting behind 3 firewalls ) 
    I'll give Debian and omv a try on the stock firmware (I'm a little afraid of flashing devices,  I guess I have bricked more of them than I actually have flashed successfully)
  • takelarge789
    Options
    The tutu app is the best app store to download game and app for free in tutuapp download you can download new latest app and game for free and take large update of game TutuApp Download also for free tutuapp give best app and game to user because so download fast instagram ++ many app are free in up large app store is this so download now and fast tutuapp on of the best app store spotify ++ download now
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    @Sir_Mc_Tod : Firewall is not the only purpose for iptables. It can also be used for NATting, which is used by many common VPN server solutions.

When you want to use the stock kernel, I have a bunch of pre-compiled modules available in my Entware-ng repo.
  • Sir_Mc_Tod
    Options
     @Mijzelf I'm aware of the uses of iptables,  but this (shit)box is only ever serving as a data grave with sharing capabilities,  Nat is done by my router,  firewall is a dedicated machine,  there is a webserver working (partially)  as a reverse proxy to provide comfortable (sub) domain access to the nas and there are two raspberries working as redundant  DNS servers. So I don't think the box will ever need anything the stock kernel can't provide. 
  • archigraf
    archigraf Posts: 18
    First Anniversary
    edited August 2021
    Options
    this comment above, from chrismxnr, is how to resolve problems after bootloop with debian linux! It works for me to. After that, you have to install debian once more

Note: you need a arduino or raspberry programming-Stick (USB), only serial cable connection on rs 232 doesnt´work

Consumer Product Help Center