NAS542 and 40TB ?

Options
Prasmus
Prasmus Posts: 5  Freshman Member
edited April 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi there

I'm thinking about buying one or more NAS542's but I have some (stupid) questions I hope someone here can answer.

My need is space, not data security as data is backed up elsewhere. Speed isn't a big issue either. So I guess I have to use either jbod or basic as type and not any raid ?

I'm thinking of adding 4 x WD RED 10TB (it's not on the list of testet drives but I guess it will work?).

As I understand a volume can max be 16TB so making one volume of 40TB is out of the question but what should I do then ?

Is it possible to make 4 volumes with 10TB each and will that be 4 network shares ? (not a problem for me)

If I make 4 volumes of 10TB each (one share for each HDD) what type should I setup - Basic (is it possible to have 4 basic types or is basic only for one HDD) ?
If I go for the 4 volumes of 10TB would it be possible to do the following:
Start with only 2 10TB HDD's and then later add one or two more and create the volumes when new HDD's is added ?
When 4 volumes of 10TB is up and running and one fails (HDD error) will the 3 other volumes be affected ?
When 4 volumes of 10TB is up and running would it be possible to remove one of them and then add a new HDD for a complete new volume ? And after that remove the new volume and replace it with the old volume again (and swap between the old and new volume from time to time) ?

The above might sound wired but think of it as a way to have 10 x 10TB HDD with one volume each and just plug in the volume HDD's I need to be using this week and maybe some of the other volume HDD's next week. I don't think I will do this but I would like to know if it's possible.... :smile:

And one last question... how old is the NAS542 and any thoughts if it would be able to buy more of them in a year or two if I want some more that looks alike.

Sorry for my english....
Best regards
Peter

#NAS_April

Best Answers

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    There are some information you should know for volume type and file system of Basic, JBOD, and RAID below:
    Volume type and file system type:

Volume on Disk Group means that you can create a capacity size with multiple HDDs, then based on this capacity to create diffent volume with customize size capacity, for example, 4x10TB, total is 40TB with disk group, then create 1x16TB volume (maximum size of volume) and 2x12TB volume

So for your questions:
    As I understand a volume can max be 16TB so making one volume of 40TB is out of the question but what should I do then ?

If I make 4 volumes of 10TB each (one share for each HDD) what type should I setup - Basic (is it possible to have 4 basic types or is basic only for one HDD) ?
    You can only use basic or disk group, and you can 4 basic volumes to meet your requirement as 1 shared folder for each HDD or disk group to create 4 volumes and create shared folder for each volume.
    If I go for the 4 volumes of 10TB would it be possible to do the following: Start with only 2 10TB HDD's and then later add one or two more and create the volumes when new HDD's is added ?
    You doens't need to create all volume at begin and add new HDD later.
    When 4 volumes of 10TB is up and running and one fails (HDD error) will the 3 other volumes be affected ?

When 4 volumes of 10TB is up and running would it be possible to remove one of them and then add a new HDD for a complete new volume ? And after that remove the new volume and replace it with the old volume again (and swap between the old and new volume from time to time) ?
    No affected other 3 volumes, but the failure one should not be the system volume, because it is default path of package install.
    Replace old one is possible, but the data would not available anymore or recover.
    And one last question... how old is the NAS542 and any thoughts if it would be able to buy more of them in a year or two if I want some more that looks alike.
    I see the first firmware release was 2016 on Zyxel FTP side.
    ftp://ftp.zyxel-tech.de/2.new_mirror/NAS542/firmware/
  • Prasmus
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the great answers!

Ok, as I read it all 4 volumes will be lost if the "system volume" dies....
    Is the "system volume" the first created volume (or saved on the HDD where the first created volume is)?
    If that happens is it then possible to plug the working HDD's in a linux PC and then retrieve the data files from them in that way ?

Or said in other words.... Is it possible to take a working HDD (with a basic volume) out of the NAS and place it in a linux PC and read the individual files saved on it ?

All Replies

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    There are some information you should know for volume type and file system of Basic, JBOD, and RAID below:
    Volume type and file system type:

Volume on Disk Group means that you can create a capacity size with multiple HDDs, then based on this capacity to create diffent volume with customize size capacity, for example, 4x10TB, total is 40TB with disk group, then create 1x16TB volume (maximum size of volume) and 2x12TB volume

So for your questions:

You can only use basic or disk group, and you can 4 basic volumes to meet your requirement as 1 shared folder for each HDD or disk group to create 4 volumes and create shared folder for each volume.
    If I go for the 4 volumes of 10TB would it be possible to do the following: Start with only 2 10TB HDD's and then later add one or two more and create the volumes when new HDD's is added ?
    You doens't need to create all volume at begin and add new HDD later.

No affected other 3 volumes, but the failure one should not be the system volume, because it is default path of package install.
    Replace old one is possible, but the data would not available anymore or recover.
    I see the first firmware release was 2016 on Zyxel FTP side.
    ftp://ftp.zyxel-tech.de/2.new_mirror/NAS542/firmware/
  • Prasmus
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the great answers!

Ok, as I read it all 4 volumes will be lost if the "system volume" dies....
    Is the "system volume" the first created volume (or saved on the HDD where the first created volume is)?
    If that happens is it then possible to plug the working HDD's in a linux PC and then retrieve the data files from them in that way ?

Or said in other words.... Is it possible to take a working HDD (with a basic volume) out of the NAS and place it in a linux PC and read the individual files saved on it ?

• Mihawk
    Mihawk Posts: 103  Ally Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    System volume will be the first created and default space to store data, and if system volume degraded or damaged only affect some feature, not all 4 volumes.
    Basic type you can plug into Linux OS PC to get data out, but it is not 100% working, because if the HDD lost file system, then PC would identify it as new HDD or nothing.
  • Prasmus
    Options
    Many thanks again, you have all been very helpfull!

Consumer Product Help Center