Notification Emails and Certificate

Options
EricNepean
EricNepean Posts: 2
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
I have a USG40W,  I'm trying to setup notification of security alerts and daily logs by email to my Apple  email account.

I have generated a third-party app password for my Appleid, set System/Notification to use TLS, Start TLS and SMTP authentication with the Apple Mail SMTP server,  my Apple username and the 3rd party password - its almost working, but now I'm getting a log message in the USG40W that TLS authentication fails because of a self signed certificate in the chain.

I note that there is only a self signed default certificate in Object/Certificate,  likely that's the problem.

So the first question is, does Notification use the certificate in Object/Certificate?

Next, I note that the subject of the default certificate is only the Model name and its MAc Address. I think I need a TLS certifcate for a TLS authentication? Should I add an additonal certificate or replace the existing certificate?

Is anyone using an email ssrevice which is easier to setup, doesn't require new certificates?

Thanks for any help
/Eric

Comments

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,066  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2022
    Options

If you would like to use your apple icloud email to send notification, you can refer to the following steps.

First, login your Apple icloud ID manage page https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage
    and on Security category press generate password. 

Enter a password label e.g. ZYXEL

And generate a app-specific password of 12 characters.

Enter the Web GUI Configuration > System > Notification > Mail server and type Mail Server: smtp.mail.me.com, Mail Server Port : 587, check TLS Security and STARTTLS, Mail From: your icloud email address, check SMTP Authentication, User Name: your icloud email address, Password: your app-specific password of 12 characters.

And you can enter MAINTENANCE > Diagnostic > Network Tool to test your icloud e-mail address if can work.

Enter Configuration > Log & Report > Email Daily Report to enable your email daily report service.

• EricNepean
    Options
    Hi Jeff. Many thanks for this reply, I got it working now. I wasn't aware of the Maintenance > Diagnostic > Network Tool to test e-mail addresses - learned something new.  It seems I had two faults, enabling "authenticate server" when I should not have, and "user name" has to be the icloud email associated with the Apple account, and not Appleid associated with the account, which is actually an email address from my ISP. And the "Mail From"  also has to be the icloud email.
  • kukuman
    kukuman Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    Hi @EricNepean

I use gmail notification on my USG60, it works fine now and can help me monitor my USG60 daily status. 
    If you would like to use it, too. You can refer to this link: 
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=015984&lang=EN

Hope this can help you!

• kamil000
    kamil000 Posts: 3
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

The link is dead. Can you please check that? I'm also having problems with sending email notification from my USG device.

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,066  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @kamil000

Please refer to this FAQ article: How to set up Gmail for gateway mail notification? Thanks.

Security Highlight