Switch port fixed or normal? Whats the different?

Options
Eddwood
Eddwood Posts: 33  Freshman Member
First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch

Hello support / forum,

I have several Zyxel switches in use and work with Vlan and the NWA APs without any problems in the past. Now I have a new Zyxel Switch GS1920 24 with firmware V4.50 (ABMH.5). My APs send different SSIDs from different vlans. The Vlan1 is the MGMT Vlan for me. Usually, I only send tagged signals to the AP from the switch and can handle them without any problems. But when I connect the new switch to the APs, I just can't manage the AP.

I also didn't understand what FIXED and NORMAL meant.

What should I set if I simply want to forward the tagged VLANS to the AP?

All Replies

• JasonTsai
    JasonTsai Posts: 104  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary ZCNE Nebula Level 1 Certification - 2019 Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    Hi @Eddwood ,

For your scenario, since you have several SSIDs in different VLANs, we recommend you configuring VLAN Trunking feature on the port that connects to AP and the uplink port of the Switch.
    When you enable VLAN Trunking, you don't need to configure any new VLAN for SSIDs, those VLAN traffic from AP will pass through the Switch. 
    The setting location is at Advanced Application > VLAN > VLAN Configuration > VLAN Port Setup.
    Here is the description for VLAN Trunking feature in our user guide:

"unknown VLAN groups" will be SSID VLANs in your scenario.

BTW, here is the description for Fixed and Normal.

Hope it helps.
    Jason
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,723  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    So you need to set it to fixed with Tx Tagging when Tx Tagging is unchecked its untagged.
  • Eddwood
    Eddwood Posts: 33  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Options
    Thanks Peter, it works.