4 AP (NWA1123-ACv2) setup - dropping connection

UCG_Tech
UCG_Tech Posts: 3
First Anniversary First Comment
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
We just installed 4 - APs (NWA1123-ACv2) for a clients warehouse & office space.  They are complaining about dropping connections even if they are standing in one place directly under one of the Ap's.  In looing at the NCC I noticed 3 of them are using channel 11.  Shouldn't they be talking to each other and optimizing the mesh network to use different channels?  I am coming from Unifi AP's so still learning these but like them so far!
thank you

All Replies

• Hi @UCG_Tech

Sounds like you deploy APs wireless to form Mesh network in the environment?

Because mesh APs are required to use the same channel to form network so they must share the bandwidth. Too many wireless hops or repeater APs means the throughput will be decreased dramatically. This probably cause the dropping connections. 

In my environment, I just use 1 AP as root AP and the other one as repeater AP to avoid reducing network performance. And it works well so far. Maybe you could try to adjust them to get better experience. Hope it helps to you.

• Zyxel_Joslyn
    Zyxel_Joslyn Posts: 360  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi @UCG_Tech

AP will choose the best channel by calculating the Wi-Fi environment. If there are other products also provide 2.4G radio service, It will affect the the AP's decision. That's why you will see Zyxel APs choose the same channel at the same time. 
    I saw you mentioned NCC. Did the customer registered these 4 APs on the NCC? If yes, can you provide me the org/site name and enable ZYXEL support? 
    Help > Support request.

Please also let me know the issue timing.
    I will help to check the configurations and analyze the logs.

Joslyn
  • Thanks Joslyn.  There shouldn't be any other wifi devices (rogue AP's) as we shutdown the old wifi routers.  I enabled support, our Org name is Unified USA, LLC and the site name is baronet.

They gave me an example yesterday(11/12) that it happened at 3:30.  Don't be confused on the WiFi network name, they wanted me to keep the same one for now so they didnt have to reconfigure all the devices.

• I'm currently onsite troubleshooting and seeing a lot of strange things.  I am on a macbook with mac address 60:F8:1D:B9:D3:C0.  I started at the Office, walked passed the Labeling AP and now sitting in front of the Roaster.  I can't get my mac to connect to the Roaster no matter what I do.  Im stuck on Labeling Area.  The customer told me they experience lots of drops in this area also.  It is 12:50pm est if that helps you look for events in thelog.  I did restart the Roaster AP also.
  • Zyxel_Joslyn
    Zyxel_Joslyn Posts: 360  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi @UCG_Tech

After realizing the logs,
    1. "no connection", it is because the AP cannot access the internet at the moment. However, it came back in 5 minutes. If the customer wants to clarify the issue, he can place a PC to ping the gateway and internet at the same time. It will say the issue occur on the ISP or the intranet.
    2. The signal strength of your MACbook was -82dBm when disconnected with Labeling AP. I also collected the logs old Roaster AP, but AP seems fine. I suggest to enable the smart steering as -72dBm and -78dBm to let the station roaming easier.
    Access point > Configure > Radio settings

You can adjust it if needed.

Joslyn