Download speed slower on AP than directly off switch

EricLangford
EricLangford Posts: 5
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Hello, we find that the download speeds when a computer is connected WiFi to an Access Point is significantly slower than when a computer is connected directly to the switch.  Are there AP settings that need to be modified?  Or is this a limitation of the Nebula AP product?? 

Nebula Access Point: firmware:  V6.10(ABIN.2)
The Router download speed average is 31 Mbps (ie CAT6 direct from laptop to router);
Whereas via WiFi AP the typical max download is 2Mbps (WiFi from same laptop).  Stats from Nebula Control Center dashboard.  
The average WiFi signal strength to the computer is about -65dbm.  
The AP Transmit power is 25dBm and Channel width 20MHz (default settings). 
Concurrent operation(2.4GHz and 5GHz)
For this test, there is very light loading on the AP - this is a small office setting - so there was not conflicting traffic.  

Please help! 

All Replies

• Zyxel_Joslyn
    Zyxel_Joslyn Posts: 360  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi @EricLangford

Have you tried to test the speed under the AP? Because the performance will relate with the distance between the AP and station, also if there is any obstacles. Test under the AP should let us know the real status. 
    Could you provide the below information for me?
    1. Org/site name. Please also enable the ZYXEL support for me. I will check the configurations and logs. Help > Support request.

2. The station MAC address and test timing. This will help me to search for the logs.

Joslyn
  • Org name:  Langford
    I have enabled the support request.  
  • Zyxel_Joslyn
    Hi @EricLangford

Here is what I found from the logs.
    1. Most of the stations will connect to 2.4G even though it has 5G capability. However, we always suggest stations connect to 5G first since there are a lot of interferences in 2.4G(microwave, 3G/4G repeater...etc). We will have more stable connection and quality of 5G.
    2. The stations no matter connect to 2.4G or 5G got lower signal. The signal period is around -70dBm ~ -90dBm which is not good enough to use.
    Could you let me know how the distance is between the AP and the station? The distance and obstacle will affect the performance and connection quality. If possible, please provide the AP deployment for me.(how you put the AP, and the AP position.)
    Please also have a try to test the connection under the AP directly. If the performance can be satisfied, maybe you should consider to add an AP.

Joslyn
  • I believe you are asking about the cable run of CAT6 cable - distance between the AP and the station (switch) which is approximately 5m (15 feet). Distance from one floor to another.  
    The distance from the AP to the laptop computer is less than 3m (10 feet).  The signal strength is -30dB at the laptop.  the laptop is connected WPA2-Personal,  5GHz,  WiFi 5 (801.11ac) Intel chip.  

Using a speed test via Chrome;    (1) When plugged into the CAT6 cable where the AP is plugged into; the download speed is about 30Mbps.  (2) Whereas via WiFi the download speed is typically around 4 Mbps.   Via WiFi, the download speed test is quite variable and sometimes slower or faster.   

I am expecting the WiFi connection from the AP to be more stable and support a faster download.  Why is there so much speed lost with the Zyxel AP?
    I have photos of the screen captures for your reference. 
  • Zyxel_Joslyn
    Hi @EricLangford

Would you mind to provide me your test MAC address and timing? I will search for the logs and realize the detail.
    I thought the screen captures were lost. Could you provide it again?

Joslyn
  • EricLangford
    EricLangford Posts: 5
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Joslyn,
    Sorry for the delay; the MAC address of the Nebula access point is :: 
    5C:E2:8C:xx:xx:xx

I have attached photos below. 

Internet download speed test is approx 27 MBPS when the laptop is physically connected to the network CAT5e cable.   

Via Wifi the download speed is approx 1-6 mbps.

We are right beside the Nebula with a strong network strength.  

Ne 

• Zyxel_Joslyn
    Hi @EricLangford,

Please enable the ZYXEL support again. HELP > Support request.

Joslyn
  • thanks for the reminder.  I just enabled!  
  • Zyxel_Joslyn
    Hi @EricLangford

We ping the internet from the AP and found sometimes the ping latency will be high. Not sure if there is any broadcast/multicast storm in your environment. We suggest to enable the storm control to avoid the traffic collision.

Please let me know if it helps.

Joslyn

Nebula Tips & Tricks