second NAP102

Jan61
Jan61 Posts: 5
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
I want to set up a second NAP102 for a larger WiFi signal in my back yard.
What will be the best way to connect this second one? By Smart Mesh or by connecting it with a UTP cable?
Should I set the channels in both AP's the same or not?
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers, Jan

All Replies

• RichardHan
    RichardHan Posts: 29  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    I prioritize the physical cable over Smart Mesh, while both ways have their target scenarios for network extension.

Physical cable provides dedicate media for signal transmission, so you don't need to worry about interference, channel loading, radio pattern.... and other factors which may drop the Wi-Fi performance.

On the other hand, if it's hard to deploy a physical cable from your house to the back yard, or the cable isn't protected well so that you may need to repair it frequently, Smart Mesh is a good way for network extension. Just make sure two APs are deployed line-of-sight to each other (or less than 15m) to ensure good Mesh link quality.

For channel configuration part, you just need to enable the Smart Mesh under AP>AP&Port settings, two APs will auto negotiating each other, there is no additional settings requires you to manually setup.

Best Regards,
    Richard
  • Jan61
    First Comment
    Thank you for your reply, Richard. I apriciate that.
    The physical cable is not a problem, it's allready there. The thing is, I want to place a second NAP102 which I want configure seamless with my other primary AP.
    Can I configure it seamless using a physical cable, or do I have to use the Smart Mesh? Smart Mesh only works when you are going to connect two AP's by WiFi? 
    So, I want to connect the second AP by cable and what, in that case, will be the best way to set things up?

Many thanks in advance,

Best regards, Jan

• Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @Jan61
    Basically, the AP in the same site will get the same configuration settings no matter you use the wired or wireless connection to the Nebula. 
    However, if you have the wired cable to connect the AP, we suggest to use it to avoid the interference of the wireless and get better wireless performance for the wireless clients.
    Usually, the smart mesh is suggested to use for extending the signal in the place without wired cables. 
    May I know the 'seamless' you mentioned is for configuration or roaming?
    If it's for roaming, please make sure that the SSID and the subnet of the two APs are the same, and the signal of these two APs are overlapped. 
    Hope it's helpful.
  • Jan61
    First Comment
    Thank you for the reply; it's very helpful.
    Ok, so both AP's get the same settings.
    By 'seamless' I mean that when I have a connection to the AP in house and I walk outdoors, the connection will go automaticly to the other AP in the garden without any delay or broken connection.
    Is that possible?
    Thanks again.

Jan

• Jan61
    First Comment
    By the way, is it correct that the second AP also gets the same IP adress?
  • Zyxel_Freda
    Hi @Jan61 ,
    The behavior of your description about "seamless" is the client does roaming from one AP to the other.
    As previous reply mentioned, there are three conditions needed for roaming.
    1. APs broadcast the same SSID
    2. To use the same subnet 
    3. the signal of two APs are overlapped.
    The 1st and 2nd can be done by configuration setting on Nebula, and the 3rd condition is needed to check by the field. As you said, you can check the signal strength by WiFi tool on mobile phone or NB when you walk from house to outdoor. The overlapped signal should be better between the RSSI -65dBm to -70dBm because some mobile phone or NB will start to scan or prepare to roaming. Please note that the roaming behavior is started by the wireless client but not the AP, so it might be different mechanisms of different wireless client.

The second AP should get the other IP address if it comes from the DHCP server. However, the default IP of the APs are the same, 192.168.1.2. May I know do you have a DHCP server in the topology?
  • Jan61
    First Comment
    Thanks again for your reply.
    Yes, I do have a DHCP server.
  • Zyxel_Freda
    Hi @Jan61 ,
    If you have the DHCP server, the LAN IPs of the two APs should be different. However, the public IP might be the same because I assume that the APs go to the Internet via the same WAN.
    Please screenshot for us to check if there's still IP issue.
    Thanks.

Nebula Tips & Tricks