USG 40 - Internet connection higher bandwidth

Options
Reinhold
Reinhold Posts: 3
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
i have extended my bandwith to 300/50 Mbit. The USG40 cannot handle this amount of traffic. I think it's a simple hardware issue.  The hardware is not designed for traffic like this. The UDP bandwith information is not helpful in any way, since this does not affect the practice environment in any way. Please don't reply with answers like "which services are running, stop service etc. 

I tested all this scenarios. 

Disabled all protocol functions, bandwith Management etc. 
All services stopped, only Enable Policy Control. 110 Mbit, more ist not possible (tested direct on USG)
Disabled Services and Policy Controls, 130 Mbit (tested direct on USG)

Box reset to factory settings. Flashing with newest Firmware - no change. For me it looks like the hardware cannot handle more traffic (TCP). 

Now my question - Which USG Flex can handle 300/50 when all security features are switched on. I'm using also VPN and Bandwith management. Or should i choose a box from other vendor?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,366  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Reinhold

USG flex has enhanced in platform, so performance is better than USG40.

The UTM services(IDP/AV) is working on TCP multi-sessions and it can reach to 360Mbps.

Here is Datasheet for your reference.

• Reinhold
    Reinhold Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Options
    Hello Stanley !

i have given you practical numbers which i have tests direct connected to USG. On direct connection on internet router i have 300/50 - full bandwith. 

i have now also disabled the traffic statistics, turned off all services (IDP, AV....). The bandwith now is 165 Mbit. This is munch less as in datasheet. i have seen already multiple entries in forum with this behaviour of USG40. For me it's clear - on TCP more ist not possbile with this hardware. And if i turn on the security services the bandwith is going down. For me it makes no sense to buy a firewall and use it then like a router without security services to reach out the throughput. 

Therefore i know i cannot use the USG40 and i need a new one. But i need a real scenario which USG Flex i can buy to have the full bandwith with security services. 

if can .... is not helpfull, i used speedtest on internet and i used in second secenrio with two laptops direct attached to USG. Then i copied a big file from one to another laptop. The numbers are not increasing. 
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,366  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Reinhold

We did a quick test with speedtest and the result can reach to 300/200 up.

Normally the throughput result is highly related to the server/client platform, network environment….etc.

In addition, the throughput will be higher when testing with multiple sessions.

Security Highlight