Disable Bandwidth management on the USG60

Options
AndreasC
AndreasC Posts: 11  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security

Hi there,

I have an USG60 box with the latest firmware 4.35(AAKY.3) hooked to a 300Mbit Fiber connection. When i have the firewall enable i get around 40mbit max , the minute i disable the firewall i get the full 300mbit, how i go about an disable any bandwidth management (the BGW is disabled) or fix this issue?

BR

Andreas

All Replies

• jasailafan
    jasailafan Posts: 191  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

In our office, we get ISP 300 Mbps.

firmware version- 4.35(AAKY.3)

Default configuration file with firewall enabled

Run test at speedtest.net.

Download speed- 232.68 Mbps

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options

@AndreasC

Can I know did you enable the UTM service, ex: CF, App patrol, or AV...? Since the device will check every packets if enable one of function, therefore, the performance may be effect.

• AndreasC
    Options

Hi Charlie,

Indeed i have enabled AV, when i disable it all ok, however dropping down to 40mbit or so is not really acceptable, any tuning i can make there?

Andreas

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Options
    @AndreasC
    The throughput will be affect when you enable the Firewall or UTM profiles.
    Since the firewall need to check and analyze each packet, therefore,  it will consume numerous performance.

On my lab, when enable AV, the throughput is 61.48Mbp/s. 
    However, the statistic of throughput may be different by test machine or test process or test environment.

• AndreasC
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Charlie, Question the  throughput is limitation on the hardware of a % of the bandwidth, meaning if upgrade my speed to 600mbit would be able to achieve better results? or i have to upgrade my hardware say to USG110 or USG210 ?

Thanks
    Andreas
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Options
    @AndreasC
    To get better performance with enabled AV, 
    you can consider to upgrade higher level of hardware.
    The spec of USG110/210
    https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/Unified-Security-Gateway-USG110-210-310/comparison#specifications
  • AndreasC
    Options
    Hi Charlie, do the USG 110/210/310 have Setup wizards for enable the various UTM services?
    From what i understand there is no easy mode for those boxes but i am not sure if that means
    also there are not UTM wizards. On another question can the USG60 box acts as fail over over
    the biggest box say USG210? for example if the USG 210 fails can the USG60 take over?

BR
    Andreas
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Options
    @AndreasC
    You can set the UTM services via "Security Service Wizard", however, the further configuration, you still need to configure via Expert mode.

As your mentioned, "USG 210 fails can the USG60 take over", do you mean HA-Pro scenario? 
    If you need the devices do failover, the devices need to be the same model. 
  • AndreasC
    Options
    Hi Charlie,
    thanks for follow up, yes i meant HA-Pro scenario..i guess then in my case it will not work since i plan to get a higher model from the USG60. From the specs i understand USG210 and onwards do not come with a Easy mode thus no service wizard. Please clarify.

BR
    Andreas
  • itxnc
    itxnc Posts: 98  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options
    That seems REALLY low for a USG60. We can usually push our USG40s to 70-80mbps with AV/CF/IDP enabled on a speed test. With a USG60, you should certainly get more than you are. Do you have any of the CPU intensive things like SecuReporter Traffic Logging, Bandwidth Mgmt, etc enabled? 

Security Highlight