Viruses and spam scanning of emails

Frabre
Frabre Posts: 10
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
I use a USG60W and USG110. I want scan emails for viruses and spam. The emails must be transmitted with an SSL connection (port 995 / port 465) (GDPR). How is this problem solved?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Antispam works on SMTP and POP3, it cannot scan SSL/TLS connection.
    Regarding to AntiVirus, it can scan smtps and pop3s. However, it need to install certificate on client and enable SSL inspection on USG since the SSL/TLS encrypts the content that is transmitted. 
    With the SSL inspection,  Inspection transparently unencrypts and re-encrypts traffic to allow AV inspect the content of SSL-encrypted connections.

• So is antispam a waste of money if i want stick the GDPR?
  • ChrisGer
    ChrisGer Posts: 205  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @Frabre
    indeed with you - but Zyxel has no "UTM Ligth" packaes without AV/Spam scan in programm.
    And the option from the ZyXEL sales to say "buy each one you need" is not realy a solution and is more expensive ;(

Regards
    Chris
  • USG_User
    USG_User Posts: 369  Master Member
    edited September 2019
    Unfortunately we are also purchasing the bundle licence each year although not using the spam and AV detection for e-mails.
    But SSL inspection is not a solution for us since this would interrupt the end-to-end SSL encryption chain.
    Our e-mail traffic will be checked once with our ISP and twice at the local user machine where the e-mail client program is running. This should be sufficient.

I'm with Christian, bundles without spam and AV should be offered by Zyxel as well.
  • Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee

Hi @ChristianG, @USG_User,

Thanks for the suggestion. We will take your opinion into consideration. :)

Security Highlight