How can I forward an external WAN IP:PORT to internal LAN IP (no port desiganted)? Zyxel USG-20

Options

All Replies

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,450  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @OldTiger

A little bit weird about the port mapping setting for camera and NVR. Based on our understanding, it should have at least one internal port for port mapping.

Without designated port, the gateway does not know how to forward the traffic to internal host for incoming connection. 

One quick question, does it also need port mapping on USG for RTSP steaming protocol?

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,714  Guru Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Ok but you still need a port so why can't you have a port? Or is the remote camera on port 200 and you want go by port 80? in which case change original service to HTTP and you may need to change the routing rule or add another for HTTP.

• OldTiger
    OldTiger Posts: 19  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Options

I thank you for all the help. I think I finally got it to do what I had wanted, but it did not work as I had hoped. I figured it out by trial & error and repetitious testing & failure, and finally got things working as I had asked you guys to help me with, even though in the end, it will not work on my NVR. I could not have gotten where I did without the help from PeterUK (THANK YOU!). I'll post the solution to my question here for others, and below the solution I'll state my error in thinking and new query.

What I initially wanted was to be able to bring in an external (WAN) IP:PORT (i.e. 23.241.176.188:250) , into my USG20, and convert (fwd) the WAN IP:PORT to an internal IP (IP with no port designation)(i.e. 192.168.1.250). As it turns out, I did not need any routing rule, I did not need any virtual interface, I did not need any objects or service, and oddly, I did not even need a firewall rule, all I needed was the proper configuration NAT.....

(And of course an firewall opening & port forwarding on the outside source (i.e. 23.241.176.188:250).)

Now where I screwed up, is I didn't think it through properly and assumed port 80 (HTTP port) on the external camera would give me the camera video feed. It doesn't, it just gives me the login GUI of the IP Camera. My next thought was to try to access the camera RTSP port (554), but that did not work to give me the live camera feed. This is an additional and separate problem from what I was seeking with my Zyxel USG20 question posted here. If anyone has a clue what port or service I may be able to access on an IP camera to get a live video feed, please let me know!

Thank you.

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Options

Hi @OldTiger

Does your IP cam vendor have manual/guide to instruct user how to add port mapping in this scenario, so that we can know which service we can create for streaming from IP cam to NVR?

• OldTiger
    First Comment
    Options

No usable info, it is extremely basic Chinglish, so no help on that. I know my way around the IP camera GUI, so that is not an issue, but getting it to forward though the USG20 is another story.

I thought the video stream would work on the ONVIF port (8999) but it didn't. I also tried it on the RTSP port and that didn't work either. I don't get anything on my web browser from either of those ports, and noting works on the NVR either. I thought for sure it would work on the ONVIF port, but no luck. With my previous config with port 80, I can access the camera GUI from the forwarded port, but I can't get the direct access video stream which "should" be on port 8999.

Thank you for trying to help.

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Options
    Hi @OldTiger,

If you did not configure other virtual servers in your network, you may try with 1:1 NAT instead of virtual server to forward the packets to your NVR since we have too limited information about your camera solution to propose you a corresponding setting. This could be the easiest way to solve the bottleneck we currently met.

Create NAT rule at "CONFIGURATION > Network > NAT"

• OldTiger
    First Comment
    Options
    Unfortunately that did not solve the issue.

I do know most things about the IP cameras, so if you have any questions about it I should be able to answer you correctly.  As far as I know, the NVR utilizes the ONVIF port (8999 in this case) for the live video feed (as opposed to the RTSP that you may assume would be proper) from the IP cameras.

In my last configuration, it almost seems like the NVR is acknowledging the video stream from the camera because it shows a completely black screen, as opposed to "login time is up" or "no video" messages that would be shown if it was a bad IP address or defective camera.  But I am still unable to figure out why the video stream is not flowing through the port like data would normally be forwarded though a router etc..

• lalaland
    lalaland Posts: 90  Ally Member
    Options
    Did the IP cam or NVR tech support guide you on how the prior setting should be done on router in this topology for video stream?

• OldTiger
    First Comment
    Options
    No
  • lalaland
    lalaland Posts: 90  Ally Member
    Options

Do you enable Auth. Policy from "source any" to "destination any" with authentication required? (Configuration > Auth. Policy)

Try to turn off Authentication Policy to see if it works.

Security Highlight