Update USG40 firmware from 4.20 to latest

Bonnie_lass
Bonnie_lass Posts: 3
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
I want to upgrade the firmware on my USG40 from 4.20 to latest. I've registered an account and added my device. However I can't download latest firmware, nothing happens when I select the latest firmware marked green and click download. That got me thinking, do I need to first upgrade to 4.25 and so on, and work my way up to the latest 4.33 or can I update from 4.20 to 4.33 right away? I can't even find the version 4.25 to download.
Any help appreciated!

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• RBS
    RBS Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Exactly same situation. 
  • RBS
    RBS Posts: 2
    First Comment
    If I need to update to 4.25 first, then it is not here: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/USG110/firmware
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,653  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

You need to use another browser then IE or firefox due to the download button not working or click firmware download and find your update like that.

• Ok, so I guess Chrome could work? And I still want to know if I need to upgrade in stages, version after version och jump straight to the latest version?
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @Bonnie_lass , @RBS
    Since you updated the firmware 4.20->4.33, it is a 4 major versions jump, in this case we will suggest users to upgrade from 4.20-> 4.25->4.30->4.31->4.33 or it may have some unexpected result.
    Here is firmware link of USG40
    USG40
    Charlie
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,653  Guru Member

Or you can go from 4.20->4.33 and do a reset

Will Zyxel put up all models of old firmware in myZyxel firmware download?

• Thanks everybody! I finally managed to update to latest going one update at a time. What a headache! What have we learned, kids? Upgrade as soon as an upgrade is available!
  • MarkoD
    MarkoD Posts: 35  Freshman Member
    Thanks everybody! I finally managed to update to latest going one update at a time. What a headache! What have we learned, kids? Upgrade as soon as an upgrade is available!

I would disagree... I've been using ZyXEL devices for the last 10 years, and for the last couple of years firmware releases had introduced new bugs (password lockout, NAT 80/443 port problems, WiFi dropping just to name a few), so I always wait a couple of months after a FW is released before using it in production environments.

I strongly appell on ZyXEL to put more focus on testing new firmware releases rather than introducing new features we don't actually need.

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2019
    @MarkoD

We’re regret to hear certain feedback from you and can realize your concern. We will keep enriching our QA’s test plans base on those feedback came from Zyxel users. 

Charlie

Security Highlight