Cross LAN access to ChromeCast

flefebure
flefebure Posts: 9  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hi, 
We own a USG40W in our organisation, I take care of it but I'm not really a network engineer.
We've set up 2 LAN, each with a dedicated WIFI SSID :

- A "staff" LAN, with access to our development infra,
- A "guests" LAN, with limited access.

We have TVs with Chomecast dongles in our meeting room, actually bound to our staff network, but for security reasons, I would like to have them bound to our guests network, but I would like to be able to cast from our staff network (for example to do some demo)
In the USG firewall rules, everything is opened from staff to guest and ('almost) everything is closed from guest to staff
As far as I understand, the chromecast are supposed to be detected with multicast packets.

Is a configuration possible to access to chromecast from staff network ? I suppose I should have to set up some kind of multicast routing, but is-it possible with USG ?

Franck

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 606  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hello @RSaull @flefebure

Zyxel Firewall does not support that routing multicast cross subnets, and currently we don't have a plan to implement this feature this year.

James

All Replies

• RSaull
    RSaull Posts: 24  Freshman Member
    edited March 2023

Did you ever get this working?

From @Zyxel_Jeff on another post:

The Chromecast mirror function could only work in the same IP subnet.

If you would like to transmit "Bonjour" "SSDP" multicast protocol from another subnet, the device must support multicast cross subnet routing. However, currently Zywall only supports IGMP proxy.

• flefebure
    flefebure Posts: 9  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment

Sorry no, I gave up with one Chromecast on the "guest" network and the other on the "staff" network

• RSaull
    RSaull Posts: 24  Freshman Member

Thanks for replying. See my edit above. Not possible with Zyxel at the moment I guess.

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 606  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓

Hello @RSaull @flefebure

Zyxel Firewall does not support that routing multicast cross subnets, and currently we don't have a plan to implement this feature this year.

James

Security Highlight